Magnum Liverpool

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Massis

Magnum Liverpool

Post by Massis »

This was going to be a smooth, until a massive gaping hole on the stem opened up.
However, the bowl had such amazing grain I couldn't bring myself to sandblasting it completely, an opinion shared by the customer ordering it. So we ended up going for a blasted shank and a smooth stummel.

This itty bitty pipe is 275mm long, 56mm tall and 46mm wide, weighing in at 141 grams 8)

It's not perfect, but I'm quite happy with the outcome.

LatakiaLover

Re: Magnum Liverpool

Post by LatakiaLover »

Intentional contrast stain, or is that just the way the wood "took" a uniform brown?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Massis

Post by Massis »

LatakiaLover wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:35 am Intentional contrast stain, or is that just the way the wood "took" a uniform brown?
Basecoat of Fiebing's black, sanded back and topped with Fiebing's moccasin brown.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The only thing I kinda don't like here is the thickness of the shank compared to the bowl height - it's like a magnum pot because of it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Sasquatch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:29 pm The only thing I kinda don't like here is the thickness of the shank compared to the bowl height - it's like a magnum pot because of it.
If that's the only thing, then I'm happy :-)

You see, the guy ordering it wanted a massive pipe with an equally massive shank and stem. I agree the shank is pretty darn hefty for a liverpool, but his explicit complaints about the last pipes he had made (by someone else) was that the shank and stem were too small compared to the stummel.

If I were simply making a liverpool, I would've made the shank quite a bit narrower. It's now around 19mm, where I would've gone for 14-15max if I made a regular liverpool.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sure, if someone wants to give you money for something, you do that thing. Happens here all the time too.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!