Can you judge these blocks from the pics?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
alexanderfrese

Can you judge these blocks from the pics?

Post by alexanderfrese »

I found these on ebay GER:

http://search.ebay.de/_W0QQsassZzuckers ... henQQhtZ-1

Note, that searching for this seller on ebay US won't show anything, since he sells to GER only. I know, that there is more than the looks to judge briar, but can you more experienced guys say something bout them?

To give you an idea bout the pricing. One EUR is 1.22294 US $ at the moment.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

t's tough to tell without holding the block, feeling it, hefting it my hand, and seeing the grain from all sides. Based on those photos, I see some decent, some average, and some real stinkers. It's about the same quality as I got from my last shipent from Algeria - an overall good mix of briar, some of which was obviously perfect, and some that was prime for sandblasting.

The price looks expensive, considering I don't know the original source. But, I'm used to paying less than 30% of that price (or even less) as a per-block price. He does say it's Italian, but I doubt it's Mimmo's briar based on the grain on the one side we can see.

My opinion? I always buy direct from the cutter. That might not work for you, as I don't know import charges and taxes associated with getting it to Germany.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Hard to say from veiwing one side of the block without seing the top and the other sides...the one side shown is at best medium tight as for the sizes they seem good.The Price is ok if it was the top noch stuff..you should mail the guy and ask him to send you pics of a few blocks from all sides to pass better jugement..or even better call him up and get the story of the wood

Id second Kurts advice buying form a mill is better at least if you want more than a few blocks and since most briar comes from within the european union
(exept for algerian and moroccan)taxes and such are none and shipping isnt that bad ..of cource getting it from a guy in germany shipping is even less..it all depends on the amount of blocks you are after if you buy a larger quantiy you can get the price down per block..

you can not readely compare these blocks to the algerian stuff though as these are all larger and that my main complaint when it comes to briar grains plateaux: they are niceley cut and offer resonable grain for the price but they are wide and short wich does me little good..but that another matter altogher

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Kurt

Could you provide the links to some cutters you buy briar from?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Thank you for yopur opinions so far.

It's not, that I want to buy lots of blocks yet. I still have some prebored from Love, that I have to catch up on…

But it is very rare to find such an offer on ebay GER (compared to ebay US, that I watch on a regular basis, too), so I was interested, if someone "new" is making offers, that can be considered seriously, or if he is only trying to sell "the rest of it" to people, that don't know better.

Kurt, I don't want to step further into your limited amount of time, but I remember Tyler had a little links page within his side besides the forum areas, where several hardware suppliers were listed. Maybe it would be helpful to set up such thing, or to supply the forum areas with some kind of sub-area for thoese matters. The sub-area would have the advantage to make it possible that user's experiences with those suppliers suggested can be discussed.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Thank you for yopur opinions so far.

It's not, that I want to buy lots of blocks yet. I still have some prebored from Love, that I have to catch up on…

But it is very rare to find such an offer on ebay GER (compared to ebay US, that I watch on a regular basis, too), so I was interested, if someone "new" is making offers, that can be considered seriously, or if he is only trying to sell "the rest of it" to people, that don't know better.

Kurt, I don't want to step further into your limited amount of time, but I remember Tyler had a little links page within his side besides the forum areas, where several hardware suppliers were listed. Maybe it would be helpful to set up such thing, or to supply the forum areas with some kind of sub-area for thoese matters. The sub-area would have the advantage to make it possible that user's experiences with those suppliers suggested can be discussed.
Maybe the "raw material" area can be shifted to that sort of content, going beyond pure advertisement.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Could you provide the links to some cutters you buy briar from?
I'll get a links page up ASAP, but for now:
http://www.briargrains.com/
http://www.romeobriar.com/
http://www.briarblocks.com/

That's only a partial list, of course. I've dealt with briargrains and brairblocks, and am hoping to get a hold of some Romeo Briar.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Kurt

That's very helpful. I did make some pipes from Jaume Hom briar. The grain and structure of the briar was fine. But a friend has tried to smoke one and says it tastes absolutely aweful. I feel bad about that because it's a good looking pipe. I presume the briar was not cured and is still somewhat green.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com