My second briar pipe, complete.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

My second briar pipe, complete.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hey guys, this is my second pipe completed. I am pleased with the results with this one in comparison with my first. Brutally honest feedback is more than welcome. I appreciate all of the knowledge you guys have provided in all past posts. Going over them and using them as a resource for pipe making is more than I could ask, and it is appreciated.

This pipe was supposed to be a bit of a squat pot type, but looks a little prince-like with length.
Used a pre made stem from Vermont freehand, and the only stain that I have, Cordovan Fiebings.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.56.48 PM.png
(720.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.49.06 PM.png
(650.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.48.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.48.39 PM.png (500.16 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.47.33 PM.png
(913.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.47.09 PM.png
(847.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LatakiaLover

Re: My second briar pipe, complete.

Post by LatakiaLover »

Rather than improvise on the fly and analyze/deconstruct afterward, try to duplicate an existing pipe. Use it as a 3-D pattern.

Think realtime feedback.

It'll prevent a LOT of false starts and painting yourself into corners, guaranteed
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
brownleafbeardsman

Thanks, LatakiaLover! I will do that for sure. I am working a Lovat right now, and right after I will be working on a classic billiard, as so many past posts have recommended. Thank you for the response!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Big issue here is that your stem to shank junction isn't flat, you took the pipe apart and shaped them separately or at least polished them separately, and it shows in the little rounded-over divot now.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brownleafbeardsman

Thanks you, Sasquatch. I was attempting to fix that, but had a bit of an issue because the whole thing had already been put together. And I had done it as you said, separately. So, I was a bit stumped as to how to get them flush after I couldn't get it back on the lathe. Thank you, sir. I will be sure to use it as a learning experience and I will not take it off the lathe until it is flush!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Assuming you don't have a massive tenon on that stem then you still have loads of material to work with. Slim that shank to flush up the stem, fix the taper of the stem and tidy up the bowl/shank junction and you will have a much more elegant pipe.
brownleafbeardsman

Caskwith, I will definitely do thet. I really hadn't even thought of going back to redo it. The tenon is only about 7mm, so you're right, there is ample material to work with. Thank you!