A Redo on My 1st Pipe...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
EthanEvans-Hilton

A Redo on My 1st Pipe...

Post by EthanEvans-Hilton »

So first and foremost, thank you to the more veteran and learned folks here for pointing me in the right direction of some extremely useful threads here. They were beyond useful. I redid the finish on my 1st pipe completely, going through the entire sanding, and abrasive compound spectrum and finishing with a wax and shellac finish and I have to say it made a world of difference. I attempted to add a nickel band but beat it all to hell so I have another ordered and on the way that is .5 mm larger which should make a difference and look much nicer. I'm much happier with this first attempt.
The images on the left are the pipe after my first woeful finish, and on the right, my second much better finish.

My bandsaw is ordered and on the way. It should be here in a couple of weeks and then I will begin my second attempt which will be a morta bent Rhodesian bulldog.

Thank you all again so very much for the help. I am extremely endebited.
Ethan
"Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others." - Orson Welles
seamonster

Re: A Redo on My 1st Pipe...

Post by seamonster »

Hey Ethan,
Good for you for going back and refinishing the pipe, it is definitely better for it!
(And so are you, as a maker.)

I wonder what the thought process was that lead you to number 2 being a morta bent rhodesian bulldog?

Will the lessons you learned from wrestling with number one be able to translate directly into number 2?
Yes, I realize this is a slanted question that I already have an answer for.

Trick is, morta is a much MUCH different material, behaves differently in every way. Would you be better off making another out of briar
and keep pushing your new finishing awareness even further?

Only my 2 cents, do with it what you like, but I think the best and fastest way to improve is to ITERATE. Create and thoughtful and deliberate progression of moves that continuously build on each other. Leap frogging from shape to shape and material to material will come later after you have the fundamentals down.

Besides, bent rhodesian bulldog is a right tricky sucker.... would it be redundant to suggest..... a billiard?

cheers,
Jeremy.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
NPS

Re: A Redo on My 1st Pipe...

Post by NPS »

That pipe looks much better....I like the band a lot, it suits the pipe.

I agree with Jeremy......I would consider using Briar for a while to extent your experience.

I don't come from a woodworking background but turn quite a bit of Oak on a center lathe........it took a bit of getting used to what speeds tools feed rate etc. I got given a small piece of Morta that I turned to make a stummel for a custom cob.....wow......quite different....it was more like turning the cheap chinese mild steel I have in an unfortunate abundance!