First Meerschaum Cutty

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
shikano53

First Meerschaum Cutty

Post by shikano53 »

I was fortunate to find 4 blocks of Meerschaum at a reasonable price. I've never worked with Meerschaum before but this was a lot of fun and I learned a lot of facts and lessons about working with Meerschaum along the way. First, a little bit of history about these particular blocks that I was fortunate to find at Chris Morgan Pipes.
(Thank you Chris!)

These blocks were found in the basement at Uhles pipe shop in Wisconsin. With their cooperation we are bringing you a very rare chance to own some real Turkish block meerschaum. Due to Turkish law, meerschaum is illegal to export from Turkey. These were brought into the country before the law went into effect. They have been dated by the owner to be 50-60 years old. They are all roughly the same size at 3" long by 1.6"wide by 2" tall.

These blocks are workable and have been stored properly. They are being sold AS IS. Please be advised meerschaum is a tricky material to work with. Once they are sold out you'll likely never see meerschaum like this again.

Here is how I turned and shaped the Meerschaum block. Some folks advised turning my lathe by hand.
I turned the entire block on my wood lathe at a speed of 450rpm. That's the lowest my lathe turns. The block turned flawlessly and with no issues. No chips or gouges. You can also use a Dremel tool and various bits with no problems at all.

This was one of the most rewarding and fun projects I've worked on to date. The meerschaum is very easy to work on but caution and attention to what you are doing at all times. A lesson I learned the hard way.
If you notice, the shank is not flat. That is because for a nano-second blink and inattentiveness, I went a little too deep at the bowl end of the shank and my tiny Dremel bit, bit too deep before I noticed what I had done. What to do? Since I had already glued the cap in place I decided to continue going. Next time I won't fix the cap until I'm confident that my shaping is complete.
Lesson learned.
Another lesson - I was so focused on what I was doing that I totally forgot to use an insert in the mortise. I did line it with a coat of super glue after the fact.
The pipe has several coats of beeswax. In the end I didn't immerse it in a boiling beeswax bath but just used my wax wheel.
The stem is 11.5mm Japanese Ebonite and it fit the cap perfectly and the drilling is dead center flawless.
The spur is correctly positioned as per a standard briar cutty too my knowledge

Contact me if you might be interested in purchasing.
Anyway, here are a few pics.
Sickle

Re: First Meerschaum Cutty

Post by Sickle »

Nice pipe, I usually don't like meerschaum pipes because of the tendency for makers to carve then into extravagant shapes and sculptures. But a plain pipe looks pretty nice!
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Nice, dude. As you know, I'm also a beginner.
Spot on drilling!
I do like the shape you achieved on the bowl! It looks great, in my opinion.
Also, I like the shank cap you have there.

I would love to try and work with a meerschaum block one day!
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thank you for the comments.

Before I leave. I would like to say a few things.
I am sorry if something in my OP offended the rest of you. There was no intent or thought of bragging or boasting in what I said. And if that is perhaps what you thought then I used the wrong words to say what I wished to convey. I guess I have become a pariah for whatever reason and no comments will be forthcoming. I don't mind harsh critiques as long as they are objective and honest. I've learned a lot the time that I have been here.
A well known artisan told me that the forum is not political. I think that comment is not correct.

I wish you would all grow up and act your age instead of your shoe size.

I do honestly wish you all the best and success in all the talented, great artisans on this site.
For me, I think the best thing to do is resign from the forum and no longer visit.
I won't hang around the edges and read stuff.

My best and sincerest regards
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, maybe Shikano won't read this, but for anyone else reading, posting a pipe, and then stomping off 4 days later because no one has said much about it is pretty silly.

Nobody owes anybody anything on this board. Come or don't, post or don't, have fun or don't. Make pipes or don't.

Those who try to be helpful around here also have lives doing other stuff. This is not even secondary. It's not even tertiary. It's nothing, a whim. If that's not good enough, well, fuck off in a rage I guess. Again.

4 fucking days.

Bowl shape looks really nice. Stem looks so crooked in the second picture that I suspect it was edited out on purpose.
Slight reverse taper on the shank not a winner here, just a shaping error (because it's combined with a cylindrical cap).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Totally agree with all of Sas's points and want to add: this is not a full-service salon, you don't show up, drop some pictures, and expect to get taken care of.... it's meant to be a community of support, each helping the other. These guys that have stomped off with their undies ruffled are not giving back at all, not putting their own feedback out there.

I would argue that it's the new folks that should be doing most of the critiquing... that's the only way to sharpen your eye for your own work, look at and knit-pick a ton of other work ..

Geesh.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop using hooty-hoo.
Last edited by seamonster on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
brownleafbeardsman

seamonster wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:25 pm
I would argue that it's the new folks that should be doing most of the critiquing... that's the only way to sharpen your eye for your own work, look at and knit-pick a ton of other work ..

Geesh.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop using hooty-hoo.

I'm glad to have read this, Seamonster. To be honest, I have seen a few of the posts and have wanted to reply with a critique; critiques that I have been given myself. I have thought that doing this might have been offensive or an annoyance to hear from a newbie. :lol:
In the future, I'll reply to a post if I have any critique about it. I'd very much like to be able to help people, as you all have helped me.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Been a while since somebody got into a huff. I've got pipes that have been on here for years without a single critique...you guys suck. I'm taking my ball and going home. Jerks.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

People are afraid you'll shoot 'em with a poison arrow if they say something you don't like, is all.

It is not an unreasonable fear.

You did used to hang with some pretty tough customers...

https://anywayinaway.com/photography/pa ... ewa-tribe/
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:41 pm People are afraid you'll shoot 'em with a poison arrow if they say something you don't like, is all.

It is not an unreasonable fear.

You did used to hang with some pretty tough customers...

https://anywayinaway.com/photography/pa ... ewa-tribe/
Despite all the absolute horse crap that is out there in the web world about the Hewa, the info on that link is actually fairly accurate.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

shikano53 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm
A well known artisan told me that the forum is not political. I think that comment is not correct.

I wish you would all grow up and act your age instead of your shoe size.
Dude, are you fucking serious? I'll give you time to answer...
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Didn’t Shikano sign off in a huff fairly recently over a lack of critique on his pipes?
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

DocAitch wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:46 pm Didn’t Shikano sign off in a huff fairly recently over a lack of critique on his pipes?
DocAitch
He did...
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Once again I stuck both feet in my mouth and Sask, pretty much as usual, nailed it. Once again I offer my sincere and humble apologies to all on the forum, especially Sask who has been so much help to me.
I'm sorry for acting like a spoiled little baby. Sask told me five years ago that if I was going to join this forum I had to have a thick skin. My skin, I'll admit isn't as thick as it needs to be. I'm working on it. Truth is, I need this forum and all the folks on it and that again I have to slap my head and realize that all the artisans here have full-time jobs (well maybe some of them do) as well as making pipes and answering questions here from people like me requesting a review, because they care. And I'm not trying to suck up, just trying to be honest, and being honest with 'me' is a painful and darn hard process. The apostle Peter who was known for running his mouth and getting his feet lodged therein, came to Jesus one day and asked, 'Lord, how often should I forgive my brother? Seven times? Jesus replied, 'Seven times seventy times..."
I don't think I'm quite at the 490 times yet, so please all, forgive me one more time.
So here are the pictures again. I've hardened myself to accept ALL the comments knowing it will only help me be a better builder.
Once again all, I'm very sorry for my childish conduct. I know, I deserve the 'put your big girl panties on, take off your diaper' and grow up comments.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome back.
I believe that there were some comments posted.
My over all impression is that it is attractive, and I wouldn’t have much problem considering paying $150 for it (as I have done with a couple of Turkish meerschaums lately). I am more lenient with carvers working in meerschaum than I am of other carvers working in briar.😀
The shank has a reverse taper- this is OK on freehands, but it is somewhat out of place on most of the classic shapes including a cutty.
The shank is also “blimpy”
The shank cap appears to be cocked to the right- I can hear the cursing when you tried to get that aligned..
There is a hint that the stem is also slightly mis aligned.
As I said, over all, an attractive pipe. Not a bad job.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Yeah, I struggled with the shank cap and I also struggled with the blimply-ness.
Now, looking at the pics again, I see exactly what you are referring too.
Thank you!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I really like the bowl shape and cant. I agree with all the things Doc pointed out and nothing more to add. This is overall a pretty cool pipe with a few minor issues. Nice job and keep striving for perfection.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
brownleafbeardsman

Welcome back, Shikano.
Good on you for having enough conviction to come back, and admitting a mistake.
A person who does so genuinely, deserves to be welcomed back.
I'm obviously not one of the people that has helped you in anyway, but still, welcome back, my friend.

As I had stated before, I do like the bowl shape you achieved, and the drilling looks perfect.
Nice job, I hope to see more pipes, Shikano!
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks guys, I really appreciated it.