Dublin Churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sickle

Dublin Churchwarden

Post by Sickle »

I was hired to make this (my first pipe for profit).
It's definitely my best pipe so far, and I'm proud enough of it to put it out into the world.
also, this was my first Delrin tenon, and I love the feeling of how it slides in the mortice, highly recommend it!

That being said, I do see some problems and want some pro critiques as well.

My biggest problem with it visually is that it looks a little fat where the shank meets the mouthpiece.
I'm happy with the finish, and I followed George's advice to get the bite zone behind the button perfect.

image ru

I know overall I need to work on proportions and lines, but all critiques are welcome.

I want to learn, so BE MEAN!
DocAitch

Re: Dublin Churchwarden

Post by DocAitch »

Over all, this is nice.
I am not a fan of churchwardens, but I think that the Dublin stummel works very well for this.
I agree that the shank/stem is too fat, but you do not have very much room at the mortise to reduce the diameter there.
I get the best results for my shank stem line by cutting from the transition to the button with a large flat file, followed by emery boards, then sandpaper on firm blocks. A stem this long will require some middle support during this operation. Rotate the stem in the mortise to maintain roundness (180, 180, 90, 90, 45, 45, 45, 45).
I also think that the button is too tall. Take a look at comfortable stems in your own collection and measure the button height.
People will also see the finish of the airway inside the button. I fold sandpaper to make sanding sticks to finish inside the button and take it up to 400, then polish with Tripoli on a fluffy cleaner.
This a piece of 150. You can make them stiffer with a bit of CA glue as you fold them. Folded tightly enough, they will reach well into the tapered part of the airway
Nice job.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'd say just polish the inside of the slot. Too well done of a pipe not to finish something like that. Nice work, these aren't easy.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

I think you've done an excellent job, especially for a very early pipe. It puts mine to shame!
The only thing I would comment on has already been mentioned, the slight bulge at the transition and the finish inside of the button. This is something I struggled with as well, until I started doing what Walt has posted there.
One thing that I have tried that works very well after the sanding of the inside of funnel;
I take a fluffy or regular pipe cleaner, and my drill, put the cleaner inside of the drill chuck and tighten it up. Place the cleaner on your block of Tripoli and get it going at a high speed to load the cleaner. Put it inside the stem and go to work!
This has worked very well for me.

Overall, I think it is a good looking pipe, my friend.
I'm excited to see more pipes that you make!
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I think the finish is the best part of this pipe. I agree with your assessment of the junction. A nice, subtle taper is more pleasing to the eye. I agree with Doc about he button height. I won't lie- I test EVERY stem I make. I put it in my teeth to feel what the customer is gonna feel. Gross? Maybe. It gets sanitized and polished, so...

Polishing the inside of the stem and slot is easy, with a million different methods previously discussed.

I personally don't like the angular look of the bowl. I like subtle curves, but that's just my preference.

Overall, I think this is a sweet piece- sure to be loved by the one receiving it. Well done.
Sickle

Post by Sickle »

thank all of you for your advice!

I was able to polish up the inside of the slot before giving it to the client but wasn't able to get a picture of it finished.

but I did finish another pipe today that I'm pretty proud of the slot:

(I'll end up posting that pipe in its entirety later tonight)

After cutting the slot/funnel I use a small file (that was about equivalent to 300-400 grit) to get the slot perfect, then folded a piece of 600g sandpaper with CA glue and sanded it for a while, and finally, loaded up a pipe cleaner with brown trip and went to town. (i wasn't able to get it to work in my drill as brownleaf suggested, the wire kept snapping under too much torque.)

as for the big button, that was a conscious decision, but that's no excuse :lol: . I felt that because it was a churchwarden, and you wouldn't have it clenched in your molars or just hanging from your mouth, that it would be pleasant to have a nice tooth hold for the front of your mouth. but I guess that's something to fix on the next one.

Also, I recorded a full build video of me making the churchwarden, which I'll be uploading to youtube soon. ill make sure to share it on the forum so you guys can judge what I'm doing wrong. :lol:
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

That is a nicely done slot and the lines of the stem are elegant.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Sickle

Post by Sickle »

I'm gonna post this in general as well, but here is the build video :

here's the link if the BBcode doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ63HzLxxJQ