Pipe #24 - Danish Egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

Pipe #24 - Danish Egg

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hello, pipe makers.
I recently had an attempt at a danish egg, and was given some critiques by Seamonster, Sas, and George.
The critiques essentially stated that holding lines that are established on the pipe is very important and will help with the overall look of the pipe.
I've tried to follow that advice with this attempt.

Also, this full bent pipe really gave me some trouble.
A cleaner wouldn't pass, so I went to step down the airway inside of the shank. This proved to be difficult, as I had never done it or even attempted to. I tried my best, but the inside just looks ugly.
Any tips stepping down the airway in the shank would be highly appreciated.
Any critiques are welcomed.

Have a wonderful day, friends. :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.27.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.27.04 AM.png (471.12 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.27.33 AM.png
(572.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.28.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.28.03 AM.png (320.67 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.29.21 AM.png
(432.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.29.05 AM.png
(332.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
brownleafbeardsman

Re: Pipe #24 - Danish Egg

Also, the pipe flew out of my hand on the buffer. I am still working on avoiding this...lol. :?
brownleafbeardsman

One more thing,
I also followed the advice given on my Rhodesian post, to use a heat gun to try to bring out any zombie scratches, this worked very well, and I moved up through the grits, and got a nice polish on the stem. :D
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

This is an attractive pipe.
My only quick remark is that the bottom line doesn’t have to drop/sag quite so low.
Modifying the the entry of the draft at the bottom mortise to allow a pipe cleaner to pass is called ramping- lots of arguments for and against that.
Another way to allow the draft to enter the center of the bottom of the mortise is keyhole drilling.
I may be able to take you through these if you PM me, but I will be away for a few days and out of contact.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
brownleafbeardsman

I hadn't really understood the term 'keyhole drilling' until I had already proceeded to start ramping the airway.
It sort of clicked when I was working on the pipe. For pipes like this, I will try to avoid ramping, and work more carefully at planning my drilling lines.
I'll try and go with the keyhole style if I'm making a pipe that will have a stem that hides the shank face.
I have been smoking this pipe, and it is by far my favorite pipe that I have made so far. I've been trying to figure out what it is about it, but it likes English Blends. Very strange how some pipes just smoke some blends better than others.

Thanks for your critique, Walt.