First Ever Bing's Favorite :)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

First Ever Bing's Favorite :)

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Good morning/afternoon, everyone. I hope you are well.

Just wanted to share with you my first ever Bing's Favorite. This was a commission pipe and the color was chosen by the customer who requested it. I had little faith in how it would look at first, but I have to say, I really like the color.
This is definitely a pipe where the Billiard training has come in very handy. The bowl shape and lines of the shank and stem were very similar, and I wouldn't have been able to produce this without all of your honest advice. I thank you very much for that.

I do think I could've held the lines of the shank a bit better, I will try to fix this on the next one.
Something that has plagued me on my passed few pipes is even finishing. I guess I might've been trying a routine that was a bit more than my skill level allows. I went back to the Finishing Forum Section and did some rereading on finishing routines.
For this one, I shaped and sanded up to 320g, stained black, sanded it down with 400, used green, went up to 600 and 800, and hit it with green again, with one thin coat of shellac after. I think this has helped and I won't change the routine until I feel confident in my sanding ability. I think that is where I was messing up; uneven sanding.
One thing I have changed, is I am now wet sanding the briar at 400,600. This has really seemed to help the sandpaper not to clog up and get bogged down.

Thanks guys, and comments or critiques are welcome. :)
:D
ImageImage
Sasquatch

Re: First Ever Bing's Favorite :)

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, as you found out, green is hard, getting it even, getting it shiny without buffing through to brown somewhere.... well done. Pipe looks pretty good, two little things - there's a slight pinch in the shank in pic 2, and I think it's genuine... keeping those lines firm is really hard, and these long, tiny pipes are really good practice, there's just no cheating. 2nd criticism is that the bowl is maybe just a bit heavy for this kind of pipe. The Savinelli shape for example looks good because the bowl is tall and pretty lean, giving the whole pipe a lean refined character. This bowl is just a little squat for a Bing imho.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brownleafbeardsman

Re: First Ever Bing's Favorite :)

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Sas,
Yea, I did notice it buffs off very easily! Had to fix up a few spots. It seems like the green pigment just doesn't hold onto the briar the same way!

I agree, it seems like a shape that would show any mistake you made very easily.
I saw that heavy pinch in the 2nd picture, I see what you mean.
I will continue working on holding my lines.

When I do another Bing, I'll keep that in mind and try to get a lighter and more elegant bowl.
Thank you for the great advice, Sas.