Yazid bouchemat briar

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
linearone

Yazid bouchemat briar

Post by linearone »

Anyone dealt with him lately? Anybody got current contact Info? I'd like to gamble on some briar, I'm feeling lucky..
Sasquatch

Re: Yazid bouchemat briar

Post by Sasquatch »

Are you..... feeling okay?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
linearone

Post by linearone »

Lol
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Linearone, Almost everything I've read on this dealer has been very sketchy. Why would you want to purchase briar from somewhere that might take months to get to you or months to even respond. You can order directly from Mimmo or Vermont Freehand or Rawkrafted, to each his own I guess :p
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's gorgeous stuff when it's "on".

This is a piece from years and years ago, came with a bunch of stuff I bought from another pipe maker. Typically soft and weirdly waxy to work with, it clogs sandpaper more than other briar, finishes differently. But that super pretty coloration and ultra-tight grain... man it's tough to beat.

I agree with sentiment about what Yazid has shown the community in the past, which is basically disdain. And it's too bad because the best of his stuff is truly wonderful (the worst is bad, I got a load from VF a few years back too and they looked good but I got very few smooths out of 20 blocks).

No email posted on the facebook page, and a website that doesn't currently exist... yeah I'll pass.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

That is definitely a beauty of a straight grain.
The briar sounds very interesting! I think I definitely would've tried it if not for the crazy shipping time and time without contact from the seller lol.
sethile

Post by sethile »

I've had some of his higher grade blocks (can't remember what he calls them), and some more like a blast grade that I picked up from the old Pipemakers Emporium, and also got them from Steve when he dealt with him on the condition that the proceeds would go to paying off the people he ripped off first (Pipemakers Emporium was one them if remember right, for a bunch of money!), and then Yazid would get paid the balance. Cool of Steve to do that! I got some nice smooths out of the better blocks, and the ones I blasted yielded that interesting craggy blast reminiscent of Algerian era Dunhill Shells. I like the wood from the Italian cutters better over all (especially Mimmo), but it was cool to have the Algerian to play with.

I wouldn't deal with Yazid directly unless he gets desperate again like he did a few years back and offers to send you stuff pre-payment, with the condition of paying him after you receive it. I know several pipemakers that took advantage of that and got some decent briar out of it.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
JMG

Post by JMG »

sethile wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:27 pm nd also got them from Steve when he dealt with him on the condition that the proceeds would go to paying off the people he ripped off first (Pipemakers Emporium was one them if remember right, for a bunch of money!), and then Yazid would get paid the balance. Cool of Steve to do that!
I hadn't heard of this. Good on you, Steve. This makes me wish I could hang out with you even more.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad