Pumpkin Stain?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
PipeAndPint

Pumpkin Stain?

Post by PipeAndPint »

Does anybody here know of a stain that would give the finished briar an orangesque, sort of pumpkin-colored look?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I use Feibing leather stains, and their tan has an orange hue. If you go online to their website you can see a multitide of colors. They are all alcohol based and I'm sure you could fine the hue you are looking for.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yeah, they have an orange stain that is *ORANGE*. Use sparingly, be prepared to sand it off. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pipemanruss

Post by pipemanruss »

if you mix the orange with the tan or the light brown you will get a good pumpkin looking stain. i used it for a project with my daughter havent used it on a pipe yet but would think it would be nice for a halloween pipe. 8)
MEPerryng

Post by MEPerryng »

Hello group.... I had to get in on this one. Have you considered a natural stain? Pumkin actually has a strong orange juice, which can be extracted easily by squeezing. Once squoze, take the juice and boil it in a stainless-steel pan for a few minutes to boil off some of the water, and the mix it with Everclear in a proportion that suits your strength requirements. Do be careful, and test it on a trash piece of wood first. It can stain your hands for days. The squoze punpkin makes good pie, though I wouldn't recommend it unless your squeezer is clean.

Matt
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehehe, what a neat idea. Every now and then I toy with the idea of an "Organic pipe." Using an organic stain and such. Might be a nifty niche thing, but probably won't go too far.
PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint »

Thanks guys! I especially like the idea of using an organic stain (though I don't know if I'll make it that far).
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Nick wrote: snip …but probably won't go too far.
Natural stains were all we had before the inventions of those anillic chemistry which are not older than some 150 years, I guess.
I believe, you could get far with those stains. But it's like with every organic stuff. You can't get any taste any time of year.
Sticking to some natural stains used since stone age might leave you with maybe like three tones only, from which one might be a weird purple, but they should last at least long enough to overcome the natural darkening of the briar. Probably even getting near something like contrast stain is impossible.
I would be very interested in that subject, too. We had a thread ’round red wine as a stain. I once came across a website from those freaks playing middle age in their spare time. They were widely discussing ancient recepies of colouring leather, textile and wood. Going to a shop and buying Attila’s coronation belt? Ha, they didn't have shops, so why should we? Interesting, but they did not have some pro for those themes amongst them and also could not report any interesting test outcomes…

I hereby promise to treat one of my next stummels with something unusual. To smoke it myself, so short and long term reports guaranteed. No matter what comes. If everyone does it with one stummel, we could collect some book of alchemy here… Still open for any suggestions for the weird substance to use.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
MEPerryng

Post by MEPerryng »

At least in my experience, stains don't affect flavor. My pumkin stain is just pumkin juice, boiled about to half it's original volume, mixed with Everclear.... it works great.

Matt
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool. I may try somthinglike this too.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

MEPerryng wrote: My pumkin stain is just pumkin juice, boiled about to half it's original volume, mixed with Everclear.... it works great.

Matt
Pumpkin Juice ? Where do you live...... Hogsmeade ?

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFL!! Despite being in the midst of book 5 (for the second time) I hadn't made the connection.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Perhaps the next book will be Harry Potter and the Magical Pumpkin Pipe !!!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
OleFattGuy

Post by OleFattGuy »

As a newbie I am rummaging through some of the older threads and find a lot of interesting thoughts that are just being cut off in the middle of nowhere?

Thought I'd bring this one back for at least a brief recall.
On the very first pipe I ever made (out of a pre-drilled kit with fitted stem) I didn't have no fancy stain powders or leather dye or anything so I experimented with what was at hand which I could recall leaving heavy stains. I discarded the canned beetroot (for being too purplish red which I don´t quite enjoy in a pipe) and looked to the second best - red wine.

I wrapped the sanded pipe in a clear small plastic bag after having put a synthetic cork in the tobacco chamber and plugged the draft hole with the same material. I poured half a glass of the darkest red (Californian Syrah I believe) wine I had available at the time, sucked as much air as I could out of the bag and put the bag in a pan of water. I then slowly heated the pan til small bubbles appeared on the bottom of it, and pulled the pan of off the flame.

I let it all sit for about an hour to cool off, and then pulled the pipe out. At this stage I didn't know jack about understains or anything so I just thought that it looked a bit dull. To help it up a bit I put johnsons baby oil on it and started rubbing it with a cloth.

Well. I have called it Naive Elephant - for obvious reasons...
Sorry about the poor quality of the picture (and maybe of the pipe;)) I took it with my Cell phone....