Kprickett

Tell us who you are.
kprickett

Kprickett

Post by kprickett »

Years a pipe smoker: 7yrs pipe smoking, but cigar smoker before that pipe tobacco was much cheaper than cigars)
How you got into pipe making: The company I would buy my cigars from also had loose tobacco in jars and I bought a predrilled kit thinking it was a cheap pipe, and was smoking it for a few weeks until I was informed that it wasn't formed yet. I proceeded to form it into a crude but comfortable pipe and loved forming it enough that when it was chewed up by the dog I decided to make another. I am now on my 10th pipe and am starting to want pipe making to be a formal hobby.
Other interesting facts:
1. I have plenty of access to raw fruit woods, so that is what I have been focusing on making my most recent pipes.
2. If you want an experience, climb a 14er and smoke a pipe at the top and the feeling is one you won't forget.
DocAitch

Re: Kprickett

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome to the Forum, Kyle.
You will find lots of information. Learn to use the search function, it will save a lot of unnecessary questions or at least hone your questions to be more specific.
You will find that the concentration here is mainly on briar as a stummel material, but certainly practice with fruitwoods will not harm your skill building.
There are also some pipes done in Morta, olive and meerschaum.
If you want to present your work for critique, do so in the Gallery. It may take a few days, but some of the more experienced hands will critique the work and often give you pointers on how to improve your efforts. Try to accept these critiques with an open mind- they are part of a teaching dialogue and your responses and changes are part of that dialogue.
Enjoy the forum.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy