Staining Question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Uh oh...

Here it comes.

You knew someone was going to do it...

Here it is...

The proverbial useless response:

Nope.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I read the blurbs online about the Behlen Master Solar-Lux stains. It sounds as though this type of stain would seal the wood more than you'd want in making a pipe. Analine stains, alcholed based, color but don't seal.

FIEBING'S LEATHER DYE is the best I've found.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Just an important note: Beer is the only sourse of Chromium in an average person's diet. Make sure you get enough chromium.
pipeman

Post by pipeman »

Actually I am a former industrial chemist (self taught), and there is only dye and solvent. The cromium is part of the dye and has to be listed if over a certain concentration, apparently .1%. This may be similar to the BASF dyes carried by Kremer. Kremer is primarily a supplier to artists who make their own paint but they have a number of items usefull to pipemakers, including a line of highly lightfast alcohol dyes. The gylcol ether is a common solubalizer for organic colorants and is on the whole safer to work with than methanol. It is best to use gloves or a barrier cream when working with this kind of stuff if you have a habit of getting it on your hands. If your careful and use a brush don't worry. Here's a link for Kremer, they ship out of New York and Germany
http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/intl.cata ... enst01.htm
The first 4 colors are what you want and can be mixed to produce almost any color.

KL
sb in a Comoy 296