Sanding discs for stummels....

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
rathpipe

Sanding discs for stummels....

Post by rathpipe »

Hello,
I have a Baldor buffer that works great and because I'm lazy I just purchased a Jet buffer / sander, 1425 rpm with a rheotstat and am going to try to use it with discs to sand down my stummel right after I take it off the lathe and bandsaw some of the waste away. I bought this at Woodcraft and they did not have any discs available to use on it. I'm thinking about some backed discs, about 6 inch diameter in various grits. I am guessing I could use a plain disc and back it with cardboard or plastic since it will be sandwiched between the two washers, on the buffer. Again, this is what I'm thinking and I might be way off base. I figured I would use the rheostat to slow it down, at least until I get used to that type of sanding. I would really welcome any comments or advice as this is a new area for me.
Thanks,
Larry
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I use a couple of different disks and sizes, depending on what I'm doing. Most shaping I do on a 5 inch disk, chucked into a jacobs chuck, in the headstock on my lathe (MT2 in size). I also use 3 and 2 inch disks with finer grit as I'm working on the stem/shank junction.

I do my buffing on that too, just chuck in the buffing wheels.
rathpipe

Post by rathpipe »

Hey JSpipes,
Thanks, just curious about what grit you start with, and that sounds like a good idea to have some small diameter discs. My sander is still in the box so I have a bit of playing to do. I think I will hook up my dust collector behind it as I can see where it would toss off a lot of briar dust. I know on my wood planer that if I didn't use the vac, I would have chips everywhere.
Larry
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I start with 80 grit and go up as far as 400 on the disk. The rougher grits remove material faster, so the speed at which I want the material removed dictates the grit.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I start with 50 grit and work up to 400. The rule of thumb that I use is the lower the grit the higher the speed. As the grit number increases the speed is slowed.

50 grit 3000-3400 rpm
400 grit 600-800 rpm
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I vary from the norm and I sand from 240 up to 600 on a 3.5-inch disc. All shaping prior to that is done with a 80-grit belt grinder. The belt grinder runs at about 5000SFM, and the discs are run at 1725RPM through all grits.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
rathpipe

Sandpaper grit and speed

Post by rathpipe »

That's all very interesting about the grits used and the speed they are used at, I will keep this in mind on my buffer/sander. I think I'll start slow as I don't want to take any big chunks out.

Are you fellows using a backing plate for your discs or just the thickness of the sandpaper. I'm thinking I don't want it too rigid but maybe a little something to lean into.

I have been using my 1 x 42 Crafsman belt sander starting with 80 grit just to knock off the corners but then have been going to hand files to do all of the shaping. I seem to have a tough time finding the right files for the job but did find a store that sells oh, kinda off brand items and they have a great selection of files. Not sure of their quality but they work and I bought several of the ones I like. I also picked up a fairly inexpensive swivel vise at Menards that I can screw to the wokbench, clamp an appropriate size dowel in it and hold my piece for sanding and filing, at lest until I'm ready to sit in the chair with some finer grit sandpaper.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

For the 5 inch disk, I use one of those plastic backing disks from the local hardware store and adhesive paper.

The 3 inch is foam backed and uses velcro. Bought it at the local Woodcraft store (http://www.woodcraft.com)
rathpipe

Post by rathpipe »

I am thinking about a 5" disc, also. and I will check out the hardware. I like looking through the hardware, anyway. I was just looking through my Jet Tool catalog and found a air filled drum sander to go on my Jet sander/buffer. I like the looks of it and might pick one up, if not for pipes then for other projects. The drum diameter comes in three sizes and plenty of choices on grit. I am told the more you inflate them the stiffer they are, so again, something to experiment with.

Regards,
Larry
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I do use a couple of different sizes of drum sander as well. It depends on the profile of the pipe and the shape that I'm looking for.

Joel
rathpipe

Post by rathpipe »

I do use a couple of different sizes of drum sander as well. It depends on the profile of the pipe and the shape that I'm looking for.

Joel
I was just looking through the Jet catalog and saw a flap sander offered, I have one on a nail but haven't tried it out yet. It is a heavy grit so I'm guessing it might be nice for roughing off the edges. I am still doing billiard shapes with some variatons. I make these for myself and that is my facorite. I have done one freehand but still looks at lot like a billiard. I will venture out, later but I need to learn to walk before I can run. Just now becoming satisfied with my rustication technique. Just satisfied, still have a ways to go. I have lots, I mean lots of pipes in my collection but have decided that my next high end pipe will be one I make myself, and not saying what year it will get made. Ha Ha
Larry