For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Cyber_Mike

Post by Cyber_Mike »

Being the "New guy" at Pipe Makers Forum, figured I've done enough lurking.... felt I should say hello!

Just bought a "pipe kit" off of ebay... and had a few minor questions to ask some experienced pipe makers. I've seen some execellent looking pipes over in the gallery. (very impressive :thumb: )

First, these are the pictures of the block of briar that I purchased pre-drilled.
Pic 1
PIc 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
pic 7

Alright, I'll try "not" to be too long winded...but, was wondering whether or not this was drilled correctly. I've never made a pipe in my life, but have smoked more then my share. Upon receiving the kit in the mail, it just didn't look drilled correctly. A Pipe cleaner doesn't slide through it, and it's really not lined up with the "air hole" of the stummel. My intuition tells me that he mis judged the placement of the tenon. If you look closely at "Pic 5" I've drawn a arrow with a pencil. Thats the exact marking of where it was drilled. My question is.....was due diligence done when drilling? or was it a sloppy attempt at meeting the tenon with the actual briar? Could it just be a preference choosen by the guy I bought it off of? Maybe he was adjusting for the grain? personally, I would have choosen another angle for the stem....a little lower...that way it meets the airway......but, I'm still green at this.....and would have liked a pipe cleaner to be able to fit through the pipe without having to take off the stem after every smoke.

If and when I do carve into the pipe, I'm expecting that I have to adjust for the stem being off centered. Which is not a problem...but, was kind of interested in others opinions before I pore hours of labor into my first pipe. I'm excited to start such a worthy project!! so in no way am I bummed. Just wanted to know what I'm getting into before I endulge

My apology if the person I bought this off of is a memeber on this site. I'd email him directly, but wanted to get some opinions before I jump to conclusions...

An Excited, yet confused,
Mike

Ps. I don't "plan" on making pipes for a living...just thought it would be fun to have made my own. Can I carve the pipe with a dremel a few rasps...and sand paper? I really don't have the proper tools....but, for my first attempt figured I could manage on a small budget.....Thanks to all that read this.....
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's tough to tell from photos, but it looks like the drilling isn't ideal. You may have to work the airway a little in order to make it smoke right.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Judging from the angle at which the stem enters the stummel, I would say you're stuck with a 3/4 bent style.

Having examined a fair number of pipes myself, for a 3/4 or full bent, it seems that you pretty much have to drill the draft hole and mortise at different angles in order to get the draft hole to meet the bottom of the tobacco chamber and also have the mortise meet the draft hole.

It is very likely the preference of the seller that he drilled the stummel for a 3/4 bent. As long as all 3 holes are in a straight line, as seen from the top of the stummel, you should be OK.

Just my logical opinion on examining the pics.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Okay, am I dense? (Don't answer) Where are the pictures?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Gotta click the links.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Well duh . . . whatever :oops:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Well duh . . . whatever :oops:

Don't be embarassed.... links can be tricky :lol:

:wink:
Cyber_Mike

Post by Cyber_Mike »

Thanks fellas for the replies! Really appreciate it.
Beers are on me :P

Just wanted to get some opinions about the drilling job.... before I start working on my first pipe. Guess I'm gonna have to do some minor adjustments with a drill. ANywho, nice to meet you guys... look foward to adding to the community.

Mike

Ps. Just click on the words "pic 1" or "pic 2" and it'll show you a picture :thumb:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Cyber_Mike wrote:Thanks fellas for the replies! Really appreciate it.
Beers are on me :P

Just wanted to get some opinions about the drilling job.... before I start working on my first pipe. Guess I'm gonna have to do some minor adjustments with a drill. ANywho, nice to meet you guys... look foward to adding to the community.

Mike

Ps. Just click on the words "pic 1" or "pic 2" and it'll show you a picture :thumb:
If there is to be any distribution of beer my address is:

29 Colonial Crest Dr.
Apt. G.
Lancaster, PA 17109

:thumb: 8)