a question for kurt (or anyone)

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
jbacon

a question for kurt (or anyone)

Post by jbacon »

hi kurt
i had any idea and was wondering how you drill rod stock. my thoughts were to buy spigot jaws for my talon(oneway) chuck to hold the stock in my wood lathe, square the ends with a forstner bit. the precison ground that you mentioned in another thread w/ben(the brand name i got were fisch also avaliable from bitsnbores) and then drill as normal. i will be using delrin for the tenon (that i got from onlinemetals great co to do business with and thank you for the lead. i have solved the problem of countersinking the mortise. i found that a 1/2 82 deg SINGLE FLUTE works great the sink is a lot cleaner than the one pimo sells(even though that is fine bite as well) the single flute acts like a wood chisel in that it rides the bevel and cuts very clean and smooth. iknow is is getting off topic so i will end here
thanks very much
jim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jim,

That's precisely the method I use. I have a couple Oneway chucks - one with spigot jaws for stem work, and one with #2 jaws for stummel work.

I chuck the rod stock with spigot jaws, square the end with a forstner bit, and drill the mortis. then I drill the airway, which is a two-step process using a short bit to start the hole, and a tapered bit to finish it. This is primarily because the tapered bits tend to flex right at the point, so I start with a regular bit to support the shaft of the tapered bit while finishing off the airway. This may be an extraneous step, but I tend to over-engineer stuff in the interest of precision.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

thanks kurt

do you prepare the delrin in the same manner or prepare it different.
also the oneway profile jaws for the talon are smooth as opposed to profiled do you see any problems there

thanks again
jim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Before epoxying the delrin into the vulcanite, I cut grooves in it with a small file. The part that sticks out, however, remains smooth.

The spigot jaws I have are smooth, but the #2 jaws are profiled. I wouldn't want anything else for stummel work than profiled jaws.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

what method do you use to drill and square the delrin. do you epoxy the delrin in the stem and then drill and square the delrin with the forstner bit

first thing tomarrow i am ordering the spigot jaws.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a jacobs chuck for the tailstock, so I just drill the delrin like normal - chucked in the spigot jaws. I don't worry about squaring the delrin to much, I can eyeball it really well.

I drill the delrin prior to epoxying it. Trying to drill it after the epoxy cures and make that hole not line up with the holes in the rod stock.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com