drilling the rod stock(or steam) for delrin what size

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I get all my delrin from onlinemetals.com. Great customer service there. I just wish they had black acrylic rod stock too.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Next question about delrin for all you guys using it.

what is a good tenon length? I got my delrin the other day and was playing around with it. Due to its flexibility I was wondering if a shorter tenon would work better. The tenons I cut now are 5/8 inch long. Wondering if the flexibility of the delrin will cause too much torque on the stem/delrin twisting the tenon out of the morise in the stummel. Could I go with 1/2 inch? Also, how tight is too tight with this stuff? I test fit the delrin in a couple pipes I've made using a 5/16" end mill for the mortise and it is tight tight tight.

Still looks like the delrin will be an improvement over my PIMO tenon cutter!

David
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

quick question... after paying more in shipping than for the price of the actual delrin rod, I did some checking around locally and found a location that has delrin rods, however, not in the size I need. I can buy larger and turn it down... is there anything special I need to know about turning this stuff down?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That you're not saving yourself any time or effort versus turning vulcanite? :angel:

Seriously though, delrin is tough stuff, with very interesting properties. Turning it by hand would be interesting. It is machineable, but the self-lubricating ability f delrin would make turning it with a wood lathe rather difficult.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

hazmat wrote:quick question... after paying more in shipping than for the price of the actual delrin rod, I did some checking around locally and found a location that has delrin rods, however, not in the size I need. I can buy larger and turn it down... is there anything special I need to know about turning this stuff down?
Yes. You need to use a live center on the tailstock to support the tenon if you are turning it down. Delrin is more flexible than vulcanite or lucite, so you cannot get a perfectly cylindrical tenon without some support. But, even for the relatively high price of delrin, I am sure that you will find buying the appropriate size to be much more financially rewarding than turning it down. Time is money, and wasted time is lost money.