filter inserts... What do I need, and How

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Jedidah

filter inserts... What do I need, and How

Post by Jedidah »

I was looking at a Brigam Pipe today at the local tobaccionist, and it had a nice little bamboo filter setup. At least i think that is what it had.

I can buy the filter inserts at any tobacco shop, but I am wondering how to make a pipe that will accept filters. I didnt look at it long enough to figure it out myself, but the more i think about it the more it seems like a good idea.

Is there some hardware that i need to buy? and if so where do i get it?

Thanks so much, Jedidiah
Jedidah

correcton

Post by Jedidah »

I'm starting to feel that it may have been a balsa filter or something.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I think that Brigham uses some sort of Maple. There was an article in P&T on them some time back. Yep, Rock Maple. It was in Volume 9, issue 1.

Basically for the filter, I think you would just need a forstner bit of the right size.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

It's not too complex, really. Rather than turning the tneon, I'd strongly recommend buying some of the readymade ones from a supplier
(like here - http://www.janzen-pfeifen.de/englisch/indexeng.html )
or making your own from delrin or some other form of flexible tough plastic. If you try turning one, the walls of the tenon are so thin on filter tenons that it will be brittle, and crack easily. Fix your tenon in your stem first, then stick a filter in it and use that to determine how deep you need to drill the mortise well in the shank. Good luck!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

I'd second Trever's post. My Brigham has an extended Delrin tenon so the filter will fit. I am sure though that Ebonite or Acrylic are simply too weak or brittle to use. It shouldn't be all that difficult to make a Delrin tenon on a metalworking lathe - or as Trever suggests buying one of the pre made variety.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Jedidah

tenons

Post by Jedidah »

Thanks guys, so far you have been incredibally helpful. One Question:

Pre made tenons? I'm not sure i that i know exactly what to look for on that site you reccommended. Is there something posted as "pre made tenon"?

I have another question actually. This brigam i was looking at had an aluminum tenon. What do you guys think of that? Are metal tenons frowned upon?

Jedidiah
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

In my opinion, metal tenons are perfectly acceptable. Just about any pipe you see with a bamboo shank is going to have a metal tenon of some kind. I think Kaywoodie gave them a bad name with that awful "stinger" they use, but by and large they're no different than delrin, vulcanite, or acrylic if done right.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com