What is a delrin rod/tennon?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Tano

What is a delrin rod/tennon?

Post by Tano »

Excuse the Newbie please, but I read most of the postings on delrin rod/tennon and I still can't figure it out. Could anybody please elaborate? What is a delrin rod? What are the features and the benefits? Does one buy it and where, or does one make their own? I appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks to all. Regards...TANO
marks

Post by marks »

Delrin (or Acetol) is a material that comes in rod form. You would actually drill a mortise into the stem, cut grooves into the delrin and the stem mortise and glue together with epoxy (delrin is very slick and glueing alone will not hold).

I like using delrin because it is slick, and the fit into the mortise of the shank is very smooth. No squeaks, etc. Also, it holds from initial entry into the shank, whereas I have lots of pipes I bought with turned tenons that only begin grabbing the shank walls once you have inserted the tenon 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the tenon. Also, I hate turning tenons (I can and have done it, but I do not like it).

The one disadvantage to using delrin is that it is extremely strong, and if you drop a pipe with a delrin tenon, you run the risk of breaking the shank instead of the tenon. With a broken tenon, you just buy a new stem. With a broken shank, you buy a new pipe.

There are several places to purchase delrin, one of which is MSC Industrial Supply. It comes in a variety of lengths and diameters, and once you find a drill bit that is the appropriate size (there are very slight variations in drill bit sizes), you have a fool proof mortise and tenon joint.

Hope this clears the waters.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Thanks Marks,
So if I understand correctly, this material is incorporated in the shank of the pipe, then all one has to do is buy or make the same stem shape that are used in freehand pipes correct?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Tano wrote:Thanks Marks,
So if I understand correctly, this material is incorporated in the shank of the pipe, then all one has to do is buy or make the same stem shape that are used in freehand pipes correct?
Actually, it's typicaly incorporated into the stem itself and replaces the tenon that the stem would normaly have cut into it. This saves you from having to cut tenons and makes it so you just have to drill a little bit. With tenon cutting there's a lot that can go wrong. With this other method, if you can drill a few straight holes then your business. It's not all THAT easy but lots of people find it easier than cutting tenons.