Blasting Question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
JSPipes

Blasting Question

Post by JSPipes »

I'm starting to think about getting a cabinet and compressor (and another vac) for blasting. I understand the basics and how to do it, but what I don't know is how you mask off those areas you don't want blasted.

Can someone educate me?

Thanks!
Joel
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Joel,

Currently, I'm using black electrical tape. You have to hit it with a glancing blow, or you'll blast right through it, but it works so far.

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Duct tape. You have to cut thin strips to follow a precise line, but you won't blast through it.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Thanks guys! What about plugging the tobacco chamber? A wine cork? I imagine you can tape right over the mortise.

Joel
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Joel,

I don't plug the bowl, and I blast with the stem attached.

That way, I have a handle to hold it by. Having the stem attached also makes masking the stamping panel and the ring at the end of the shank easier.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Re: Blasting Question

Post by ToddJohnson »

JSPipes wrote:I'm starting to think about getting a cabinet and compressor (and another vac) for blasting. I understand the basics and how to do it, but what I don't know is how you mask off those areas you don't want blasted.

Can someone educate me?

Thanks!
Joel
Hi Joel,

Try white phasing tape. It doesn't leave the sticky goop that black electrical tape sometimes can. If you double the thickness you can hit it pretty hard (110 psi at least) without any danger of going through it. Another thing to remember is never to blast toward the tape. Always blast from the direction of the tape going toward the unmasked parts of the bowl. That way you don't risk raising the edge and ruining your nice clean lines. As for the bowl, yes, a wine cork will work great, but go for the synthetic corks. They'll last through a thousand blastings as opposed to the "single serving" that natural cork gives you. I guess we're screwed when all wines go to screw tops. It's only a matter of time. I guess I'd better be hoarding synthetic wine corks.

Todd
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Thanks Todd! I'll make sure to save them. Good tip on the synthetics.

Joel
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Todd,

What is white phasing tape? Where do you get it?

Thanks.

Rad
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

I've just been using a couple layers of whatever masking tape is close at hand. Stands up pretty well and no gunk left on the pipe.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com