Drilling lucite

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
JSPipes

Drilling lucite

Post by JSPipes »

Any tips for drilling lucite? I don't have any trouble with cumberland or ebonite, but lucite is problematic. I keep getting large strands coming off the bit and diverting it a little. This has the effect of getting the hole off and making it really wide at the tenon opening. Which, of course, traps moisture.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Joel
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Go slow, clear the bit often, and use cutting fluid. Acrylic (and lucite) is problemtaic stuff if you don't treat it right.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Progcat

Post by Progcat »

Drilling lucite has been one of the most problematic aspects of the whole process for me. I have found the folowing to help. I drill on a metal working lathe.

1) face off all surfaces before drilling
2) Use a center drill to develop a pilot hole
2) Drill the tenon end first with whatever drill size you use
3) Go slow. I have found the best method is to drill in about 1/4 of an an inch at a time. Then, instead of cranking the tail stock back to extract the drill bit, release the brake and pull the entire tail stock back out fast. This reduces the time that the drill bit is heating up the plastic from spinning backwards and brings the debris out instead of distributing it back in the hole which causes it to gunk up.

4) Then, turn the rod around and rill the smaller mouth bit hole from the other side using the same method. I also shoot water in the hole and on the drill bit to cool things down after every atempt.

The main technique that a machinist frind taught me was the tailstock withdrawal method. Since I have stared this, Ihave had much more success.

Tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's about how I do it as well. But, I do it on my wood lathe, and advance and retract the entire tailstock - I don't use the screw advance when drilling. I just leave the brake disengaged and slide the whole thing back and forth on the bedway.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give 'em a try.

UPDATE: Kurt, drilling it on the wood lathe and sliding the tailstock in and out worked beautifully! I also drilled a good bit of the way down with a regular straight bit the same size as the taper I use. I went to 1/4 inch shy of where the taper starts so that they blended together. Worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

Joel