Stores to look in for lucite, acrylic, etc.?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
CTMachinist

Stores to look in for lucite, acrylic, etc.?

Post by CTMachinist »

I live in Enfield, CT, and am looking for local places to get plastic rods to use for pipe stems.

I've checked the phone book, and there are plenty of plastic places around, but the only place I've found thus far that sells plastic rods is about 40 miles away.

Any ideas on what kinds of stores to look in? I'm already planning to hit the local Home Depot, just on the off chance they have anything.
Progcat

Post by Progcat »

Try Pipemakers Emporium www.pipemakers.org/ They have a large selection of all kinds of rods

Tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It looks like there's a WoodCraft about 25 miles from you. They may or may not have anything to make stems out of. If they have a decent pen-making section, they shold have a large selection of acrylic that can be used for stems. A lot of it is finicky stuff while shaping, but it looks *great*.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

I hadn't thought of that! Good idea, thank you.

Any ideas on where I could get longer pieces? I'm looking to make a churchwarden in the near future and I'd rather not order online.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

No clue really. I get all of my acrylic rod online from Delvies Plastics. I only ever get black or amber from them though, as they don't carry anything more fancy.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

I'm not looking for fancy, just looking to avoid long drives or high delivery prices.
marks

Post by marks »

I've been ordering from Delvie's as well. Typically, I call the 800 number to place my order, and I have not found their prices or shipping charges too high. I inventory rod, and calculate it into the cost of each pipe made, The last rod I bought cost 42 cents per inch, including shipping, which is pretty inexpensive per pipe.

Based on the price of gasoline these days, plus your time, you may be hard pressed to get it cheaper if you buy local. Plus, cast acrylic rod (which is what you need) is not a typical stock item in stores around here, and probably not where you are either. My local woodworking store has pen blanks, but they are much more expensive than Delvies, and they don't carry long lengths for longer stems.

Good luck finding what you need.