One Way vs Talon

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tano

One Way vs Talon

Post by Tano »

Hi All!

I'm getting closer to aquiring a General Maxi Lathe (anybody familiar with it ?), and I'm debating between a One Way and a Talon chuck. Most sales people that give me the sales pitch don't make pipes, so I would greatly appreciate the forum's input.
Thanks in advance....Tano.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

I just bought a OneWay and love it. The OneWay with an 1" 8 TPI is $175.00 on Amazon.com with $7.00 shipping. The Talon is $209.00 plus shipping. I know $30.00 doesn't seem like much, but I'm trying to build my shop. So $30.00 bought me a good 1 1/4" Precision Forstner bit for facing the bowl.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I've got a Stonghold chuck. On my Taig, the chuck uses the same locking method as the oneway. After using both, I prefer the keyed method that's on the Talon (and Stronghold).

But that's me.
Joel
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I just started using my Talon after replacing a Nova chuck that used the two levers to tighten. I prefer the keyed tightening on the Talon, although the two levers on the Nova worked ok for me as well. The keyed Talon is a little easier to use as far as aligning the stummel and positive one handed tightening operation. Both work, just the Keyed action of the Talon is a little quicker.

Both the Talon and Oneway are good chucks, so it comes down to price and preference!

My 2c.

David