New Metal Lathe

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Gary_Gill

Post by Gary_Gill »

I bought a 7x10 mini lathe last fall. Soon added the mini mill to make tooling for the lathe and vice-versa. Saturday's project is swapping the original bed out for the 14" version.
Gary
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

For me, I actually want the shorter bed - I need it to be small and portable, and the extra weight isn't worth it to me for what I do on it.

If I need to do a bigger project, I'll put it on a Bridgeport lathe!
stache

Cummins chuck

Post by stache »

CTMachinist
I just got my Cummins lathe. I noticed that the hole in the center of the chuck is NOT 3/4" dia. Is it possible to open it uo to 3/4". I didn't measure it but, I did try to put a 3/4" rod thru it and that's how I noticed it was small.
Gary_Gill

Post by Gary_Gill »

The 3" three jaw chuck has a 5/8" hole IIRC. The spindle has a 25/32" or 13/16" thru hole. As does my 3" four jaw chuck.
Gary
stache

Cummins lath

Post by stache »

Gary did you bore yours out to 13/16"? If so how did you do it?

I wanted to use my lathe for turning the tennons on pre-made bits but, all of the one I have are too wide to fit comfortably in my chuck. I need to go well past the jaws in order to hold the bit tightly in order to turn it.
Gary_Gill

Post by Gary_Gill »

My lathe came with the larger hole thru the spindle - easily passes a 3/4" diameter rod. It is a Harbor Freight model 93212 as opposed to the older 33684 lathe. Same basic machine with a few differences. Such as safety guards with switches and a cover or the lead screw. They did cheapen the half nut design and mine broke. I replaced it with the half nuts from the 33684. Cuts threads as it should now.

You can purchase a couple of different collet systems that will hold stock up to 3/4" diameter. Littlemachineshop.com has #3 Morse taper collets as well as ER-32 collets. The 3MT collets use a draw bar from the back of the spindle to tighten the collet. The ER-32 can be used similarly or with a collet chuck that allows you to put the work through the spindle while it is held in the collet.

Buying a lathe is just the beginning. The tooling and accessories will cost more than the lathe. I purchased the mini-lathe and mini-mill late last year. I have made a couple pipes with them but spend most of my time and lunch money making tooling for both machines. I am currently working on a collet holder to fit the 5C collets. These collets are available in 1/16” to 1-1/8” diameter plus several sizes of hex and square. Keeps me busy and off the streets. :D

Update - Checked the through hole diameter 25MAY06. It is 13/16"
Last edited by Gary_Gill on Thu May 25, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
MilesW

Post by MilesW »

Craig can you give an up date on the Lathe? How do you like it and would you recommend it?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I'm absolutely loving it. It's accurate and easy to use. It was a snap to set up. There are several bulletin boards on yahoo that deal with these mini lathes and I found them to be very helpful.

I've even ground some of my own cutting tools. So I'm good to go.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Pegoda

Metal lathe for pipes

Post by Pegoda »

Craig, are you using woodworking tools or the tool post and cutting tools that are common to the lathe to cut the briar? I have a 10" Atlas with a 54" bed and a South Bend 9" with a 24" bed and wish to use them but have not tried as yet. I need advice please. Thanks.
Bob Moorman
The Little Old (Novice) Pipemaker From Texas
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I use a Jet Mini Lathe for my briar work. I use the metal lathe for stem work. As I've said in an earlier post, I like this setup because it's somewhat more portable. If it were a perfect world, I'd buy a big hog metal lathe and do stummel and stem work on it.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com