Mini sandblast any good?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
OleFattGuy

Mini sandblast any good?

Post by OleFattGuy »

Hi all.
I've lately been thinking about sandblasting. Since I am a newbie hobbyist without even a place to call my workshop(I set up stuff in the kitchen whenever the missus is away :( sad but true) I cannot even start to dream about compressors etc. However I have an ailing for all things "mini" (might wanna see a shrink about that), so I Googled for "sandblast mini" when http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=60287 came up.

Anyone ever tried something like that?
Would a spray can have enough power to blow away briar?
" because the grains of abrasive are so fine, it will remove paint without removing surface details...even on plastic"
Is that a matter of coarseness of the abrasive?

Might be a silly question, but hey I'll try anything once :)
OleFattGuy
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I think you'll be sorely disappointed with that unit. The simple answer is "no, I'd be surprised if it worked", but stranger things have happened.

Briar is really tough stuf. If all you want to do is create a matte finish on glass, metal, or plastic, that unit will work - if you can get past it's horrible shortcomings. The main problem with that thing is the canned air. It's actually a compressed diflouroethane or something - because it liquifies at higher temps and lower pressure than regular air. This makes it more stable for packaging and shipping, but it also means it can never reach anything more than about 50PSI under ideal circumstances, and typically less than 30PSI. That's just plain not enough to do much of anything to briar.

Another frustrating thing about those canned air things is that they absorb a lot of heat while they're venting contents. Recalling the specific physical science terminology is beyond my feeble mind at the moment (only one cup of coffee in me yet) but the same thing happens when you vent propane to quickly. First the can cools down and the PSIs drop (lower temps mean it's more stable in liquid form), then the lines start to cool, then condensation starts to freeze on the can and lines, then the airbrush gets cold and condensation forms in it, then the airbrush starts to freeze. Before you know it, your gun is siezed, and you're severely irritated.

Not fun.

I wonder if Trever has had some experiences with these in his early airbrushing years as well. I used them for about a month, and spent enough on canned "air" that I could have bought a decent compressor if I'd have waited.

Now, the sandblasting unit itself, I don't know about. I have no experiences with those, but I will say this - that sandblaster won't hold enough media. My cabinets each have about 20lb of media in them, and I'll bet I use about that much on each pipe (good thing it's not single-use stuff).

If you want something small, check out this unit:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/cyclone/pbh1000l.html
2CFM at 90PSI is just about absolute bare rock bottom minimum for doing anything worthwhile to briar. It won't get you anywhere quick, and it might not do much of anything to some briar, but will do something. And, since it only consumes 2CFM, yo8u can run it on just about any "pancake" or "hot dog" compressor - though I would suggest getting a halfway decent one with a 25-gal tank so it's not running constantly.

Honestly? You really have to be dedicated to make sandblasting worth your while. The equipment and materials needs can get very expensive, and to get good at it takes a lot of practice - unless you're Rad Davis, and magnificent ring grains just fall out of the sky into your lap. :)

Skip that piece of junk above, and decide if you really want to persue sandblasting - and pipe making in general. If you do, then jump right in with good equipment. In the meantime, you may find an established pipe maker with the right equipment to sandblast your stuff for you. Heck, it never hurts to ask.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
OleFattGuy

Post by OleFattGuy »

Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer!

It was pretty much as I suspected. I really must do something about my "minimalist thinking" :oops: when it comes to equipment. I'll look into the link you supplied me with in the meantime to try to "embiggen" my thinking!

Thanks again Kurt for setting me on the right path to pipemaking!
OleFattGuy