Buffer Source

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
MilesW

Buffer Source

Post by MilesW »

I want to obtain a buffer motor. Do any of you know a source or model?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Got my Baldor some time ago on Ebay. A 1/3 hp, 1725 rpm beaut for around $50 plus shipping.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ayup. Check out eBay for baldor motors. You ought to be able to find a wide selection of speeds and ratings.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
munkey

Post by munkey »

Here is the guy many of us have picked up motors from:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwesbestbuyQQhtZ-1

If that URL doesn't work, search for seller "wesbestbuy"
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Wow. Look at the price for Buy It Now. If I didn't have one, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Holy crap!! The last one I bought was closer to $50 BIN. At that price, it's positively a steal.

And it seems that it was too much for me to resist. I just BINed one. As soon as I expand the workshop, I'll be building all manner of tools, and this will come in very handy. I might even grab a couple more. Heck, at that price....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
MilesW

Post by MilesW »

Great price on the motor. checked shipping he wants about 34 dollars to ship? More than the motor.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Still, look at a similar Blador motor from a retailer anywhere, and it's a real steal. Even $60 is an excellent price.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Paul

Post by Paul »

MilesW wrote:Great price on the motor. checked shipping he wants about 34 dollars to ship? More than the motor.
I just ordered one and shipping was $16.45. Perhaps it depends where you live ...
Paul
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yes. I live on the East coast, shipping out here was about $34.

But, keep in mind that these are no namby-pamby Harbor Freight specials. These are 1/3 HP 1725RPM BALDOR motors in a steel case/frame. They even come pre-wired for 110.

Seriously, even at $64 shipped to my house, I'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on a low speed motor like this.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

I just got a motor from him,, where do you get the wheel attachments theres no nut to screw on so i'm lost, thanks for your help, and Kurt thanks for the e-mail, I forgot that i sent it from my work PC so i Just got it.
James Sunderland

I just got a motor from him,, where do you get the wheel attachments theres no nut to screw on so i'm lost, thanks for your help, and Kurt thanks for the e-mail, I forgot that i sent it from my work PC so i Just got it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Woodcraft (both store and .com) should have work arbors, chucks, and pillow blocks. I can't recall where I got my pulleys from, I think it was some online surplus place, but this place has them:
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/beltpulleybearing

Also, I just recalled Beaumont Metal Works has all the pieces needed:
http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/
And they make the finest belt grinder available anywhere. Personally, if I had the scratch, I'd be buying a KMG.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

@James

I was at Lowe's this weekend and was surprised to find they had motor arbors there, so you may want to check that out if you have a Lowe's handy. Make sure you know the size of the shaft so you get the right one.

@whoever can answer...

does this guy usually have a supply of these motors available for order or does he pop up once in a while with them? I could use another motor but am not ready to order one right away as I don't need it immediately.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

hazmat wrote:does this guy usually have a supply of these motors available for order or does he pop up once in a while with them? I could use another motor but am not ready to order one right away as I don't need it immediately.
He has a seemingly endless supply of them. I bought the first one two years ago, and one again a year later. I'm considering getting another in a couple weeks.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

KurtHuhn wrote:
hazmat wrote:does this guy usually have a supply of these motors available for order or does he pop up once in a while with them? I could use another motor but am not ready to order one right away as I don't need it immediately.
He has a seemingly endless supply of them. I bought the first one two years ago, and one again a year later. I'm considering getting another in a couple weeks.
Excellent. I'll be looking him up in the next month or so. I'm in PA, so I should be safe assuming I'll get it bought and shipped for $64. Sweet!!
James Sunderland

you guys ROCk, i'm still in the dark a little but i'm really thankful for the help. The baldor that i have is the blue one Brad uses, i think. the shaft has a rectangle on it. I went to home depot and stumped them. so i'm still not sure what i'm looking for, i know i'm a total rookie here. I"m sure some of you know how excited i am not to use a hand drill to buff. :lol:
Frank

Post by Frank »

Kurt, a few years ago I had access to a friend's variable speed Burr King or Bader (I forget which). If I had the scratch I'd also have one or the KMG. I watched the demo video. Looks great. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my Grizz unless I win the lottery.

Slow speed, slack belt sanding is the way many pro pipe makers go. Looks like they use a 1" or 1 1/2" belt, though.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Frank

Post by Frank »

James, do you mean a rectangular slot? If so, that's for a woodruff key.

If you mean a flat rectangular area on the end of the shaft, that's where the connecting bolt/screw contacts when you attach an arbor, keeps it from slipping on the circular shaft.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

James Sunderland wrote:you guys ROCk, i'm still in the dark a little but i'm really thankful for the help. The baldor that i have is the blue one Brad uses, i think. the shaft has a rectangle on it. I went to home depot and stumped them. so i'm still not sure what i'm looking for, i know i'm a total rookie here. I"m sure some of you know how excited i am not to use a hand drill to buff. :lol:
What you're looking for is a motor or work arbor. It's basically a metal sleeve of the same diameter as your motor's shaft. Attached to that sleeve is an arbor onto which you can mount your sanding discs, buffing wheels, etc. The sleeve is held to the motor shaft by a couple of set screws in the sleeve. You tighten them down to the shaft and off you go. JH Lowe has some that may suit you(or not). If not, at least it's a basic description of what you're looking for. There's a decent picture of one in the last picture with the sanding discs. Lowe's carries something like this in my area, though I doubt it's a high demand product. There was only one in the whole building when I was there last.