Shadow of darker wood on new pipe?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
PapaDuke

Shadow of darker wood on new pipe?

Post by PapaDuke »

I think I cursed myself making that comment on bvartist new pipe about the circular part of the grain.

I carved a pipe last night and sure enough ended up with one side having this long & wide (almost the whole side of the bowl) shadow of darkness? The grain is in tack and I can see it through this darkness but just slightly.

Other then that the wood has some very interesting grain. But it's almost like it was two different pieces of wood. Very disappointing!

Anyone know what this is and how do you get rid of it??
I may just be stuck with it but any help would be great.

I'll show everyone tomorrow after I get some more stain and then the wax on it.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi PapaDuke,

The areas you are talking about are commonly known as "bald spots". They are just areas of little or no grain.

There's nothing you can do about it once the pipe is shaped. They are the reason for many rusticated and sandblasted pipes.

If you learn to recognize these areas in a block beforehand, you can sometimes cut around them when cutting out your pipe. Other than that there's nothing you can do.

Rad
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks Rad, I was afraid of that. After I looked more at the pipe I realize that if I try to darken other areas of the pipe it may even out?
Gonna give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained right!

I'll leave it up to everyone here after I post a picture tomorrow on if I should leave it smooth or if I should rusticate it?