Hand Drill Lathe Your Thoughts?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
PapaDuke

Hand Drill Lathe Your Thoughts?

Post by PapaDuke »

What do you think guys about this lathe for $149.00
If anyone knows a cheaper or better one for around this much I'd love to know.

Features:
Variable speed motor 300 - 4750 R.P.M.
Cast iron bed and headstock
3/4" x 16 TPI right hand spindle
5-15/16" swing over bed
3-1/4" swing over tool rest
12" between centers
M. T. #1 spindle taper and tailstock taper
1/4 H.P., 110V TEFC brush type motor
2.6 Amps
Includes tool rest, live rolling center and spur center
Overall dimensions: 27"L x 4-3/4"D x 9-3/4"H
Shipping weight approx. 46 lbs.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I don't have any personal experience with that lathe, so I can't offer anything - sorry.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that when you are looking to drill with the lathe you will need a suitable chuck, which will probably end up costing you more than the lathe.

Just speaking from experience - that one was a shock for me.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I think it was workbench magazine late last year did a comparison of different midi-lathes. From what I remember the grizzley wasn't that much cheaper than the others and preformed quite badly. I'll try and look it up if you're interested (it's in the school library and the 100 yd walk is just too much for me right now).

Josh
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I hit a good sale at Rockler and got the Jet for ~$200.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Forget that lathe and get a Jet or a Delta. They're slightly larger, use 1"x8 threads on the spindle (more accesories, stronger), and Use MT#2 for spindle and tailstock (again, stronger and more accesories). A Jet Mini will let you do so much more than that Grizzly. I've run mine hard for a couple years now, and it shows no signs of giving up.

Jet Mini on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007 ... e&n=228013
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

being that you will need to turn wood at odd angles for drilling... that lathe is too light. You should get one that is at least 80 pounds and put that on a really sturdy and heavy table or stand.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

the Grizzly lathe is JUNK!!!!! Do not buy it unless you want a lot of frustration. The headstock and tailstock don't line up, the tailstock ram has too much play in it, and its grossly underpowered. I bought one several months ago when my first lathe died and I needed one for my business, and Grizzly was the only place I could get one within driving distance. It was barely adequate to turn a reel seat for a custom fishing rod, I wouldn't have even attempted to try a pipe on it. The bad part was, I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the base to mount the darn thing to my workbench so they wouldn't even take it back.:x

Save up your $$$ and buy a Delta Midi or Jet.
bugsy

WHAT LATHE TO BUY

Post by bugsy »

jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..jet..its tough ..i KNOW..i try to kill mine everyday.........good day bugsy
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Ok let me see if I understand this...
That would be NO on the Grizzly?
and YES on Jet?

Haha..

Thanks guys. This is what I need to know. I don't have a bunch of money to go replacing something that will take me forever to buy in the first place.

Now the big question is
what comes first?

What's the order of equipment that someone like me should buy?
I'm thinking..

1. Table Sander
2. Grinder for buffing and Wax
3. Lathe

Also what equipment am I forgetting that I might need?
Drill Press? Is this needed if you have the lathe?

Yeah I know I ask alot of questions! :D
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

PapaDuke,

Just my thoughts on this. For getting up and running I would buy a lathe first. Along with the lathe, you'd need a chuck to clamp the blocks in the headstock(typically a 4-jaw self centering chuck like a one-way) and a jacobs chuck for drilling. You can use the lathe for sanding and buffing operations by buying relatively inexpensive mandrels to mount buffs and sanding pads. That will give you basically what you need to get started. Then later you can buy a dedicated machine for sanding and one for buffing.

A drill press isn't really necessary if you have a good lathe and chuck setup. And the next big purchase I would make would be a bandsaw.

David
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks and that all makes really good sense bvartist.

The only think I question is using the lathe for sanding.
My problem I have now in using my hand drill clamped to a table, is that I have nothing to rest the pipe on in order to get a good clean flat surfice or nice rounded sanding such as on the bowl or shank?

Funny thing, When I was younger I was a Machinest in a couple small factories. Lord to think of all the tools I had at my hands then that I could use now!!

But what hurts the most is I spent so much time in Italy while I was in the Navy? The Pipes and Briar I could have brought home!!
:dunno:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I'm in full agreement with Kurt's evaluation of the Jet lathe. That's what I have and I am completely satisfied with it.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

IMO, what I have is about a minimum of what someone needs to be a serious hobbyist pipemaker.

Jet Mini Lathe
Oneway chuck
Taig Lathe (there are ways to do, what I do, on this with the Jet)
Shop Vac
Band Saw
Dremel

That is the extent of my large tooling. As far as sanding on the lathe... pratice practice practice. You could use a deticated motor with a disk on it positioned where you could sit on a stool in front of it with your elbows on your knees. That might give you more control. I do all my shaping, buffing, drilling and such on the Jet.

I use my shop vac for a dust collector but a real dust collector is by far a better way to go.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks,
Any special model of Jet?
Or is the cheapest just as good as the best?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

bvartist

Post by bvartist »

PapaDuke wrote:Thanks,
Any special model of Jet?
Or is the cheapest just as good as the best?
The Jet Mini or Delta Midi are as small as you want to go. I personally use a Delta and haven't had any trouble with it yet, but its only a couple months old.

I forgot about dust collection. At least for me its very important. Briar dust does a number on my breathing!

I also agree with artguy, practice, practice, practice and you can shape well without a flat surface to rest the briar on. Squaring the block is a little more challenging but can be done.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Hey I'm almost there!
I have a Dremel and a Shop Vac! ! ! haha..
Now just a couple more hundred dollars and I'll have that lathe.

Man that is nice.
I was looking at them on Froogle and the price is right but they kill you with the attachments.
All in good time

You're right about resting my arms on my legs that's how I'm using the Hand Drill right now, and it really helps. One thing that will help is when I break down and get a grinding wheel to put the self-stick sandpaper on to.
Right now I'm using a rubber one and it bends
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

PapaDuke,

Your subject title was "hand drill" which might affect the recommnedation. I see lists that include chucks and such, and you don't really need some of them if you are wanting a machine to hand drill on.

That said, I haven't heard good things about that Grizzly lathe. I'm with others in suggesting a Delta midi or Jet Mini lathe (The same lathe with different branding).

The key to hand drilling, if that is indeed what you are after, is the drill bits. The very best choice are not drill bits at all, rather they are machined rods that must be custom ground. If this is the direction you want to go, I can get you more info on this.

FWIW, hand drilling is a much steeper learning curve, but ultimately I believe it is the way to go.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

PapaDuke wrote: Now the big question is
what comes first?

What's the order of equipment that someone like me should buy?
I'm thinking..

1. Table Sander
2. Grinder for buffing and Wax
3. Lathe
I find that just about 85% of my work is actually done with my lathe - including sanding and buffing. I have a grinder, a giant Jet unit with a belt grinder attachment that I use for rough shaping, but that's only because that's the way I prefer to do initial shaping. I'd never think to use it for buffing though. At 3640RPM, the opportunity for screwing up is huge.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I forgot to add, I also have a delta 8 inch disk sander/ 1" belt sander combo for squaring blocks. The belt sander portion is a bit of a waste as all of my shaping is done on a 5" disk on my lathe. The belt is used almost entirely for sharpening pencils. :D