Stem Materials

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
josh_ford

Stem Materials

Post by josh_ford »

Tyler hinted on this the other day but I'm going to approach it from the newby level. What is better for cutting one's first stem: Vulcanite or Acrylic? I am hoping to cut my own stem on this next one and was wondering what material is best for doing so with possibly less frustration. I've heard some people who were suprised at the qualities of acrylic, is that because they were first used to vulcanite? Any help would be wonderful.

Josh

22 days to graduation!!!!!!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have found that vulcanite shapes easier and is more durable on the buffing wheel. Cast acrylic can get hot and edges can round off easily when buffing if you are not carefull. I have also found that vulcanite drills easier. However, I have also only shaped 2 stems with acrylic so others on here might have more experience.

Cast acrylic dust is almost like shaved fibreglass, it can make you itchy. Niether is good to breath but I would imagine vulcanite is less harmfull but I am not really in a position to know for sure. :dunno:

I do know that while turning vulcanite you want to put down the pipe you are smoking in an area away from the lathe. Having a ribbon of rubber land gently into your pipe bowl does not make for a good smoke at all :naughty:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Also, I have learned from experience that vucanite shavings will burn pretty much like gasoline.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have found that cast acrylic tends to take a shine with less work than vulcanite. However, it's more of a pain to file and sand. I like working with acrylic, but I don't get too many requests for acrylic stems, so I just use vulcanite.

Acrylic is far easier and less expensive to obtain, however. Which makes me wish folks would get over their objections to the stuff. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Kurt

From whom are you buying your stem materials?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Rad, I remember that one. That you were so impressed by it made quite an impression on me. Moral here, guys: clean up your shavings!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Kurt

From whom are you buying your stem materials?
I bought about $1000 worth of rod stock not too long ago with another pipe maker (direct from manufacturer), and I get all my acrylic from Delvies Plastics.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

mahaffy wrote:Rad, I remember that one. That you were so impressed by it made quite an impression on me. Moral here, guys: clean up your shavings!
I just cleaned up mine today!

Rad