Preferred methods?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hazmat

Preferred methods?

Post by hazmat »

Without laying out any kind of trade secrets you're loathe to share, how about a list of "preferred methods" of doing certain taks. As we well know, each pipe maker has their own way of going about it. Cold be helpful for people who are having trouble doing something one way and are looking for an alternative.

I'm curious as to how some people are filing/sanding their work. Personally, I use the old dowel in the 'baccy chamber', as well as doing alot of work manipulating the stummel, using my lower thigh(protected with a rawhide knapping piece) as the base.

Any other ways??

Matt
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use a scrap piece of 1/2" vulcanite with a hole on either side in the two tenon sizes I use most as a handle when filing stems. I just lay the stem on my workbench and get to work. That way I can exert as much force as I need on the file, and have loads of freedom of movement.

when sanding stems, I insert them into a block of scrap briar that has an array of mortises in all of the sizes I use. That block of briar is then clamped to one of my workbenches so that he stem is fully sticking out into the air and I get at all sides with a strip of sandpaper.

I dont hand sand stummels anymore. To laborious to make it economical, and it isn't as exacting as using a cushioned wheel.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I've been curious about the sanding bit. I HATE hand-sanding, but I my sanding discs seem too rigid to do me any good. I'm assuming the cushion has something to do with that, along with the grit. I'm sure with some experimentation, I could come up with something that will work for me... sometimes coming up with new solutions to current problems is more satisfying than making a pipe...
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

KurtHuhn wrote: I dont hand sand stummels anymore. To laborious to make it economical, and it isn't as exacting as using a cushioned wheel.
Yes, that is how I do 90% of my sanding also - cushioned wheels are wonderful and fast, and the variety of shapes I have lets me get into a lot of small areas. Hand-sanding is pretty much reserved for spot sanding and ripple-checking.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
marks

Post by marks »

After the initial cut on the belt sander, I chuck stems back into my taig and support the button end wth the rotating center (or whatever that thing is called). Then I file and sand with the ability to turn the stem to get at all sides. Since my workbench is a Workmate, I can move around pretty easily and get different angles on the stem while working.

And unlike Trever and Kurt, I do stummels the hard way. I have dramatically sped up my work by rough shaping on a disk, but I do the final shaping and all sanding by hand. I may one day delve into cushioned disks, but I partly use pipemaking as a stress releiver from my day job, and the hand work is very theraputic for me.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Kurt and/or Trever... are you guys fabricating your padded discs or are you able to purchase them somewhere?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I do some of each. You can use a standard 3" wheel, available at any good woodturning supplier, with backing cushions available in a range of hardnesses (or make your own backing pad), along with whatever sandpaper disc meets your needs. These are limited in the places they can get into thoguh.

You can also make your own fairly easily if you have a lathe of any kind. Check out Trever's weblog for some pics. Here's an easy link:
http://www.talbertpipes.com/archives2/2 ... hive2.html
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Did you say "make your own"????? That's what I like most!! Thanks for the link and the information.. much, much appreciated!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Kurt (or whomever else may be able to give me an answer).. is this something along the lines of what you're taling about?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-b ... y=415-0300
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's exactly the kind. But, as you can see from the photo, you're severely limited in the areas that you can get into because of the way the disc holder is shaped. If you make your own, you can use a disc of mild steel or something with a hole in the center, and mount it on a dowel or metal post.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean about the limitations. What I think I'm going to do is order one of these jobs and see how they work for me. Then I'll find out some place to get a similar material and have a shot at making some specialized magillicuddies on my own. Shouldn't be too tough.. hehe.. famous last words!

Thanks again, Kurt!