Delrin Tenon OOPS. And the fix.

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
JSPipes

Delrin Tenon OOPS. And the fix.

Post by JSPipes »

Apparently I got just a bit of runout when I drilled my most recent stummel. The hole and the tenon are exactly the same size. That makes for a fit that's just too loose. However, this didn't surface until I was almost done with the pipe!

Thank goodness the epoxy breaks down under heat. I used my heat gun to heat up the stem enough that the epoxy failed. Then I removed the tenon and machined a new one with a piece of 7/16 delrin rod. I had to trim the face of the stem where it will meet the shank just a hair to clean off the eopxy that bled out. The result is perfect!

So, if for some reason your tenon is a hair loose, this might be a good way to effect a repair without having to make a new stem.

Joel
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice job bud.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I used your idea already today. I needed to re-drill my mortise which left the tennon to short. I heated it and pulled out the old tennon and just inserted a new one. Great hint. Much better than trying to drill it out.

Josh
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Glad you guys like the tip.

It kinda came to me when half asleep. I went to bed trying to figure out what the best way to deal with that loose stem was. It hit me just before I fell asleep.

Joel
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Joel, your tip is another reason why this forum is so valuable. Thanks.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I tried this last night and I could not get it to work (I won't say why, but let's just say I am having my problems actually completing a 9th pipe). What method are you using to heat the stem up? I could not get the tenon out, so I ended up cutting it off and re-drilling out the stem.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Not all epoxies behave the same; compare epoxies rather than method, perhaps?
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I used 2 part, 90 sec epoxy from walgreens, which might explain my success :oops: I heated it with a lighter and pulled it out with pliers. Worked great. If you are using quality products, however, you might have more trouble.

Josh
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I'm using a 5 minute epoxy. I don't remember the brand off-hand. I used a heat gun to heat it up.

Joel