Still struggling with briar quality

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Heinz_D

Still struggling with briar quality

Post by Heinz_D »

Hi,

still a beginner in pipe making I've bought a lot of six briar plateaus. It seems that this wasn't a good idea! From the first 3 blocks I've only finished one pipe (see here: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... pic&t=1669)

I think the blocks are all from the same burl...

The 2nd block was totaly scratched inside and unusable. Now working on the 3rd block I tried to shape a pipe with ½" border and wanted to leave the bork on the border - after grinding a lot of sand pits and scratches ther is only ¼" border left!

No I'm not sure if this enough to rusticate the pipe or what else I can do to save the pipe!

What would you do in such a case? One idea is to fill the pits with briar dust and superglue. I tried this before and I colored the briar dust with the stain I used finaly for the finish - but it was only one little pit. Now I've about a dozen! The other idea is to shorten the bowl to get off most of the pits...

Does anyone have another idea?

Greetings,
Heinz
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Heinz,

I would rusticate.

If you fill the pits, I would recommend super glue mixed with charcoal powder and then a dark stain.

The problem with matching the fill to the original stain is that as the pipe darkens with smoking, the fills don't, so you will have light spots.

If the fill is already black, then the pipe darkening around it isn't going to make it stand out. It's already black, and it won't get any lighter.

Rad
Nick

Post by Nick »

You could find some one to blast it for you? The wall thikness should be fine.