What shape is my new pipe?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

What shape is my new pipe?

Post by PapaDuke »

I'm calling it a Fang but truely I don't know.

This is my newest version of something with Antler Inlay.

For the grain I stained it with a heavy coat of USMC Black then sanded it all off after letting it sit overnight. The followed it up with PIMO Virgin. I've got another waxing that needs done to it before it's finished.

This one was number 11
MilesW

Post by MilesW »

I don't know what the shape would be called but I like the pipe. Nice work.
smokepiper

Sixthen Ivarsson made a shape like that and today after been

Post by smokepiper »

The Elephants foot looked just like that in the beginning and it had a buffalohorn extention 2/3 of the shank lenght. Just like that, Sixthen Ivarsson is a father of many shapes and mentor for many makers. Bo Nordh was his student and many more. And there is Lars Ivarsson and Nanna Ivarsson who´s bringing the legasy of making to the future
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Your shape is called a freehand :)

Nice pipe. One of your best yet. A little constructive, subjective criticizm:

1- Your lines are smooth, but I think they could use some adjustment. The harshness of the transition at the bottom fo the bowl throws off the lines of the pipe, IMO.

2- This is probably one of the least subjective pieces of advice, but somewhat based on opinion none the less: In general, the more defined your lines the better. So, especially in contrast to your slightly pointy bowl base, the top of the bowl/shank transition seems to be too curvatious. I personaly would have liked to have seen it a little more cut and dry, i.e. more of a V shape than a U shape.

3- The stem would have been matched the pipe better if it didn't have the bubble flare (the second rounded one). The first one matches very well, imo. But the second is out of place. That and the bend in the stem is rather sudden.

After tearing the pipe a new one I always feel it's necessary to tell you also that it's not a bad looking pipe. Critiques can be invaluable tho. You definately progressing!
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Ben,

as we agreed on constructive criticism, I second all of your statements. Esp 'bout the stem bending curvature (I don't like those fancy ball stems at all, but that's just a matter of taste) and the bowl lines. The bowl sits somewhere in between. It could have been more defined (making the bowl bottom more V-shaped, tending towards the pickaxe style, then the bowl/shank transitions needed to be more sharp) or make it somewhat rounder, centering the deepest point of the bowl curve in the middle of the bowl.

Just my two Euro-cents.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de