Where do you buy delrin?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
ScoJo

Where do you buy delrin?

Post by ScoJo »

I ordered a 4 or 5 ft piece of 5/16" delrin from McMaster Carr. Problem was, it came shipped in this huge tube and because it was like a 6 foot long tube I got gouged for shipping (didn't know until I got the invoice).

Now I need to buy more sizes of delrin, but I'm looking to not get gouged for shipping. Does anyone else cut this stuff down into more manageable lengths so that they can ship it cheaper? Where are you guys buying yours?
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

http://onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=216&step=2

That's where I get most metals/plastics that I need. "Plastic Acetal" is delrin.

For shorter pieces (2' and shorter), shipping isn't too bad at all. Remember - they can pack a lot of metal/plastic into a shipping container. Order a decent amount, and shipping seems better and better. :D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll second that. Online metals is a great place to get delrin/acetal. Shipping is very reasonable. The also carry a lot of shapes and sizes of other stuff that's fun to have around.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

For some reason, if I add more than 2 of the 12" pieces to my cart, I start to get charged a cutting fee, even though 12" is the standard length. Does anyone else have this problem? I wonder why?
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Here's where I buy mine, both natural(white) and black acetal/delrin, in 1/2 dia. x 12 "for $1.25 each.http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I too endorse Online Metals. They are a company that is part of
www.littlemachineshop.com which is an excellent source for small metal lathe parts and information.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Wow! Nice link, Craig. Thanks. A guy can grow old waiting for Harbor Freight to stock tools and bits and bit holders; this site is a real gem.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Dang,that is a nice link....maybe I can find repracment roller bearings for my Delta bandsaw here.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes