Another of my early pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tano

Another of my early pipes

Post by Tano »

Thanks to my computer wizard son I now know how to post pictures. So get ready for more pictures.
Best to all,
Tano.

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Both are beauts. Although, for me, the first one is the kittens meow. As we say here in SC...DANG!

Nice pipes.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Very nice!
Where or who did you get the stem off of on the second one? I like that stem.
Tano

Post by Tano »

The stem on the second pipe came as part of a pipe kit on ebay, The seller is VT Freehand. I botched the briar but kept the stem to be used at a later date on this pipe.
Tano
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Tano, the stem on the first one --- is that a "bite-proof" with two holes into the draught hole? And did you make it? I've been thinking about trying one, being a terrible jaw-clencher myself. (You try raising 11-year-old identical twins and see if you don't bite through a stem now and then!)
Tano

Post by Tano »

John,
No, this is a standard slit.I do own one pipe with a bite-proof stem, I think they are great and I have that on my experimentation list.
I have also ejoyed using those rubber tips not only to protect the stem but they are easy on the teeth.
Here is one pipe I made with those tips.
Tano.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Tano,
Nice job, first of all; very nice fit at the stem/shank. But I was driving along only yesterday and the thought came, "I wonder if a person could design a bit specifically for one of those little rubber dingles?" Just wish they were slightly tougher -- still as comfortable but strong enough that my sharp bottom teeth wouldn't gnaw through in a few months.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Tano,
Nice job, first of all; very nice fit at the stem/shank. But I was driving along only yesterday and the thought came, "I wonder if a person could design a bit specifically for one of those little rubber dingles?" Just wish they were slightly tougher -- still as comfortable but strong enough that my sharp bottom teeth wouldn't gnaw through in a few months.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi John, you must have some sharp teeth to knaw through one of these bits in a few months. They are fairly inexpensive 2 for $3.95, and thats in Canadian currency.
My other suggestion to you would be to build more pipes for yourself put a bit on each one, which is what I do, and rotate them.
Tano
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

(I didn't notice the double post before. Hmm; no "delete" button. Well, live with it, mahaffy.) Seems t'me, Tano, I may have seen bits, many years ago, with triangular inserts top and botton just after the button. That would be a royal pain to do for the one-at-a-time pipemaker. But I wonder if you could cut a flat recessed groove all the way around and shrink a short length of plastic tubing on. I expect that's where all of us clencher bite; the button itself needn't be soft. It would make a pretty thin wall at the tip, but I bet a stainless tube could be acquired to beef it up.

The rubber bits are cheaper here. Just hard to remember to buy on those rare trips to town --- even more rare are the visits to the tobacco shop there; raising a family on a Social Security income these days sure cuts down on the self-gratification spending.
Tano

Post by Tano »

John, Point well taken.