PIMO tenon tool tips?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

When I was using the Pimo tool, I replaced the guide pin with a 1/8" drill bit. I was using Guidici stems, and they were a nice tight fit on the bit, which actually opened them up some as the tenon was being turned.

After many trials and errors, I finally set the cutter on a size that gave me a tight fitting tenon. With a good hard buffing and polishing, it would give me a nice smooth fit.

Also, if you move the stem very slowly in and also out on the tool, you won't get those pronounced spiral tool marks.

Rounding the shoulder edge while polishing the tenon doesn't matter. When you put the stem on the pipe and begin shaping, any roundness will be sanded away.

Rad
sethile

Post by sethile »

I have fought with the PTT on every stem. So far I've distroyed 7 stems to get three pipes. I had a really bright idea early this morning on pipe #4. I finally figured out the hard way what you folks have, that the only way to use this tool and get a good fit was to cut the tenon till the front of it barley sticks in the mortise, and then carefully sand it till it fits well. I did a half way decent job with the fit last night, and even added a nice maple insert. This morning I was going to use the tool to lightly face the insert for a flush fit to pipe shank. Och! Boy was that was a mistake! :naughty:

I really should have known better! This tool is not designed to cut maple! I broke the insert, the shank, chiped the stem enough to make it unusable, and manged to cut myself in the process. Of coures it could have been much worse. 8O

Ok, no more insert facting with the PTT, and now on the tenons I'll just get the fit close, leave the tool set, and do the hand sanding/buffing routine. I had not tried buffing the tenons. That sounds great! I love a nice looking tenon, and the buttery feel described by Kurt sounds like just the ticket!

This tool certainly has its limitations and it makes me want a lathe even more than I already did, but I'm very thankful to have this option until I can muster up the finances to get a lathe. At the current price it's no bargin, but I'm very glad they still offer it.

I also ordered some Delrin yesterday and can't wait to try it!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------