Common Courtesy

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Common Courtesy

Post by RadDavis »

I’m a little bit miffed.

I received emails from two participants on this forum last week. One was asking advice about sandblasting, the other about hand cut stems.

I took the time and answered both to the best of my ability. I am always happy to help if I can. I’m also happy to hear a “Thanks for the help!”, when I have given it.

To date, I haven’t heard a word from either of these two forum members regarding the help that I gave them at their request. Even after a follow up email to one of them asking how the blasting went.

So, I’m a little bit miffed.

This sort of behavior is very "not courteous". :P

Rad
forrest

Post by forrest »

IM beginning in pipe making and I know there is a lot of pipe making knowledge I dont know and would be very gratefull for any help from any one. Even those who is successful as you. Im sorry to hear about this. Just remember, not everyone is like that, and I know that I will be asking for help and I can tell you now I really appreciate the help.

Forrest :D
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I hate to say it, but welcome to the club Rad. If aspiring pipemakers ever wonder why professionals are sometimes reticent to spend several hours corresponding with them about their specific questions, this is why. As someone who answers at least a dozen how-to pipemaking questions per week, I can tell you that it makes a difference when someone takes just a brief moment to let you know they appreciate your help. I think we're trained to assume that access to any and all information is now a basic human right. If, however, you are the one that posesses the information, doling it out can get wearisome. That's why boards like this one are so great. I only wish folks would read some of the archived information here before making private queries. But I digress. I second what Rad says. If someone who makes a living doing this spends their time to correspond directly with you about your questions, please say thank you. It will keep the information flowing freely instead of all sealed up in our secret little pipemaking caves.

Todd
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Oh boy,

My bad, I honestly thought I had answered that email from you Rad. I did go sandblasting and I believe the pressure I had was too low as i hardly made a dent after about hitting the stummel for an hour point blank. I have not been able to get back to the shop to try it again with higher pressure. I do appreciate the input you gave me and apologize for not responding. I seriously thought that I had. I am really not a rude person, my inbox just gets a little disorganized at times.

I hope there are no hard feelings :oops:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

forrest wrote:IM beginning in pipe making and I know there is a lot of pipe making knowledge I dont know and would be very gratefull for any help from any one. Even those who is successful as you. Im sorry to hear about this. Just remember, not everyone is like that, and I know that I will be asking for help and I can tell you now I really appreciate the help.

Forrest :D
That's no excuse for not saying it later!

:angel:
forrest

Post by forrest »

I was raised to always say thank you and I appreciate it. :D
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Yeah, what Todd said. This is pretty typical, actually. Just wait until you get someone who's so aggressive about wanting to know stuff that he asks you all sorts of rude questios and then emails you again wanting to know why you haven't answered him any faster! (Yes, it has happened)
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I can only imagine some of the emails some of you guys get. It cracks me up that people can't(or won't??) do something as simple as thank you for your time and effort. Those that help do it because they feel it's a good thing to do, not because they're obligated to do so. I'm thankful to everyone on this board that has provided me bits of help... I may not have even gotten re-involved with making pipes again had it not been for the folks here and their enthusiasm for the craft!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

TreverT wrote:Yeah, what Todd said. This is pretty typical, actually. Just wait until you get someone who's so aggressive about wanting to know stuff that he asks you all sorts of rude questios and then emails you again wanting to know why you haven't answered him any faster! (Yes, it has happened)
Trever,

You get e-mails from that guy too? :D

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

In some ways, I miss Random.
bugsy

Post by bugsy »

todd johnson are you in charleston sc or connecticut....header says sc...web site says ct...thanks bugsy
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Nick wrote:In some ways, I miss Random.
Actually, that WASN'T a reference to Random! There are more like that out there than anyone should ever know... 8O
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
smokepiper

i know what you are talking about

Post by smokepiper »

But i imagine that they are so thrilled by the new information that all other thoughts disappear, i hope it's like that... And i really hope i never doned anything like that anytime...
Nick

Post by Nick »

EEEEKK!! More out there like Random? That's just scary.

Random wasn't all bad. Once you got past his iconoclastic rudeness, he was ...well I'm not sure really. I never got that far. I do have to say, somthing of the rebel in me enjoyed the way he threw out every bit of conventional wisdom and did it his onw way.