Tobacco Renovation???

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Graygrowler

Tobacco Renovation???

Post by Graygrowler »

Good Morning All,

I've recently uncovered a stash of tobak I left in a storage unit. In it are several open tins, etc.--yes, all dried out. Is there any way to renovate dried out tobacco? Hate to think I have to toss it all.

Regards

Rich
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Hmm, I fear, the longer the process of drying out took, the more substances besides the moisture will have vanished in the air.
Not that I have some scientific proof for that. But I have the following experience:
To avoid drying of my tobacco in use, I use some glasses for my tobacco. Unfortunately, those are not sealed 100% air tight. So to remoisture (only a little bit) I put a pipe cleaner into the cover of the glass and moisten this cleaner. This way the water is not applied to the tobacco directly, but only humidifies the air in the glass. Seemed perfect for me this way, since it does not "contaminate" the tobacco by anything else in the water.
What made me think of other substnaces evaporating out of the tobacco: These pipecleaners turn blond and dark brown rather shortly though they never have any contact with a single bit of the tobacco. This must come from the tobacco.
And I fear that these substances are gone forever in a case, where tobacco has dried over unknown periods of time…
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

On the other hand, though the tobacco has probably undergone a change, it may still be quite smokable. I remember the tobacconist at the smoke shop in Annapolis using a spritzer --- a little atomizer used by bartenders for adding flavors to mixed drinks -- to maintain the moisture of his displayed bins of tobacco. I surely wouldn't throw any tobacco away until I'd tried gently remoistening it and smoking the results. Some of the strongest tobacco I've every smoked (strongest from the standpoint of its niccotine content) was ANCIENT stuff that I got at a dented-can "road-kill" store; that was some gooood tobacco!