First customer pipe sold

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Butch_Y

First customer pipe sold

Post by Butch_Y »

My best friend, My worst enemy. Depending on the day but always, always my worst critic and so imagine my surprise when my brother extended his appreciation financially and purchased a pipe from my display.

I think it could have used a bit more experience in a lot of areas but all in all it turned out nice. I read a thread where someone wanted to know how to get rings off the wood lathe. Here you have it. A 3/8" mandril was my best friend. The small rings are deer antler and the wood is bocote. I was not happy with the porous bocote but it is the nature of the wood. Wont use that again. The stem is factory but drilled out and inserted with delrin.

It's already sold and as we speak, being smoked no doubt. He should be home by now.

Critic me and Blast away. I have a couple others complete as well but have not taken time to post them as I am enjoying my hours in the shop way too much. :lol: Here's just a part of my collection below. Thanks for taking the time to post your views. Tyler, bust out that red marker and start grading. :D Now that I see you posted your phone number, I just might start chewing your ear a bit. ( now now, don't take that literally. :naughty: )

Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Congrats! Selling the first is a great feeling. I've got to give you credit for selling one to your brother. All my brothers do is take freebies! :)

I'd be glad to give you my thoughts on the pipe if you'd like, but I hate typing it up. Too much work! Give me a call if you'd like.

It's 9:15pm (Central) right now, and I'll be up for two more hours. Give me a call tonight if you want, or anytime this week.

Tyler
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I'm no professional pipe critic by any means.......... so take this or leave it......

The work on the pipe is great, and I like the shape. And here it comes... But..........With the size of the pipe and the extension, the stem doesn't look right being that long. (just my opinion.) And with the rearward cant of the bowl, I think a slightly bent stem would have done the look of the pipe more justice.
A stem smaller in diameter might have looked better also. It just looks chunky compared to the pipe.
I think the stem might have worked as it is, if not for the extension.
Just my thoughts and not even worth the 2cents...... :D
ckr

Post by ckr »

I agree with smokindawg, a slight bend in the stem would do it justice.

Just curious, what did you feel the poricity problem was with the boycote?
Fumo in pace :pipe:
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I'm curious....where'd you get your bocote? I've used a lot of bocote over the years, fly rod reel seats, pipe tampers, shank extensions etc. And I find it a joy to work with. Just curious because your trim ring doesn't look like any bocote I've used. Is it stained?

David
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

I'm curious....where'd you get your bocote? I've used a lot of bocote over the years, fly rod reel seats, pipe tampers, shank extensions etc. And I find it a joy to work with. Just curious because your trim ring doesn't look like any bocote I've used. Is it stained?
I took it from a box of scrap pen blanks. It could be cocobolo too but there is so much junk it simply looked like a bigger chunk of bocote I had laying around. No stain. It seems with both Bocote and Cocobolo I get small areas that seem to have "air pockets". You can see a perfect example on the stem. (btw, most of my wood is bought off ebay.) Don't know why this happens but I see it alot with these two woods. Light grain tearout? Don't know. I should have left more meat and sanded more. Instead, that final shape was cut on the lathe with no sanding. My mistake?

The stem/shank size are only because that is the stem I had to work with and my delrin was 3/8". (I ordered more sizes today). Had I gone smaller, the mortise wall would have been very thin. As I grow I may be able to stock more supply. Right now it's all gone into tooling again.

I offered the bent stem. It's too easy to grab the heat gun but he didn't want that. I did mention that should he change his mind it would not be hard to modify.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I'm inclined to think its either Kingwood, or another member of the rosewood family. But it may be cocobolo. (I'm kind of a nut when it comes to wood! love the ton of different varieties!)

BTW, forgot on my first post to say... very nice pipe for the few you have made! You are definitely progressing rapidly! Way to go!

A couple things I see....a little rounding on the end of the shank where it meets the stem, or could be a slight gap. Can't really tell with a picture, but there is a shadow line so something is a little off. And it looks to me line the shank/bowl junction is slightly undercut(the shank cuts into the bowl.) But still a nice pipe! (although the stem needs a bend! but hey, if your bro likes it that way its great!)

David
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Okay, you asked for it. Let me get out my red pen...

Just kidding. This would be holy hell to read if I did the whole thing like this. :)

One thing I see right away is that the stem really needs a slight bend in order to flow better. The straight stem interrupts whatever flow there is, and causes my eye to halt along the surface as I'm looking at it. More on this later.

The shank/stem transition needs to be more refined. You've got a slight rounding of the shank and that last ring, which creates the perception of a large gap, even if the fit is otherwise flush. Shaping and sanding, all the way through final sanding, is the only foolproof method to get these perfectly flush unless you have laser guided equipment.

Someone else mentioned the thickness of the shank, but I'm not sure I agree. The thickness looks okay, it could be thinner, but I wouldn't sweat that detail too much.

The rings on the stem look good, but they result ins stem that's disproportionately long in comparison to the shank and size of the bowl. Thsi is somewhat subjective, as I know some folks like longer stems. Overall the length of the stem/shank combo is not bad, but to be in balance, you'd want to split the difference a little. In my opinion, the shank should end just about where the rear ring is, the rings start where the vulcanite currently starts, and the cylindrical portion of the vulcanite should be correspondingly shorter. shortening that length of wood ring at the same time would also bring things into balance.

Speaking of rings, try to get the front and rear rings to be the same thickness. Having them different thicknesses confuses the eye.

This may simply be the lighting or photography, but the color of the wood stem ring does not compliment the color of the briar at all. It's darker, with less detail, and surrounding it with lighter rings serves to accent this. Giving the pipe a more walnut (or brown-ish) staining would solve that.

And, I know I'm going to be in the minority saying this, but the shank/stem junction is too precise. I know a lot of pipe makers strive to hit the perfect junction with clean, crisp lines, but to me that sort of construction is an affront to what should be a fluid and organic shape. I would rather see a smoother transition where the shank is blended into the stummel rather than looking like it was jambed in there at high speed. There are exceptions to this where a crisp transition is attractive - one of brad Pohlmann's bulldog/rhodesians comes to mind. This is 100% subjective though, so take that with a grain of salt.

On this particular pipe, the dropped bowl seems out of place. This is accentuated but the flattened bottom that has been angled slightly. In order to achieve a flowing shape with the dropped bowl, I think you would want to re-work the bottom to complement the rest of the shape.

And that leads us to balance and flow. In this pipe there are a lot of different angles and directions, some of which work together, other of which are in complete disharmony. The top of the bowl does not match or compliment the bottom, whcih does not compliment the shank angle. The angles of the front and rear of the bowl are not in harmony with the stem, even though they are in harmony with each other. When looking at the pipe, my eye does not flow along the pipe. Instead, it stumbles, haltingly along the lines, having to adjust direction at each intersection, while unable to anticipate the next curve or turn. The shape is not calming.

This is in contrast to the rhodesian directly below it in the last photo. There is more balance and flow in that shape. It could use it's own improvements, and I can expound if you'd like (best to do that before finsihing :) ) but overall it's much more pleasing than this one.

And just so you don't think I'm picking on you. :) You managed to hit a very good grain orientation on this pipe. The grain follows the lines of the sides of the bowl very well, and the shape seems well suited to showing off a nice flame grain.

I also think you did a nice job of staining this one. The color is very pleasing, and shows a lot of contrast. Very nice.

Overall not bad, and as a technical exercise, you did a great job. Now you just need to develop the aesthetic side of things and get it pulled together as a "package".
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Damn, you know I had this long email all typed up, but Kurt beat me too it. So, what he said!

NNYYAA Kurt!
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

Thanks Guys.

You're awesome. :thumb: