rough rusticated giant horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smokepiper

rough rusticated giant horn

Post by smokepiper »

This one took me hours to rusticate, lost feelings in my fingers after the session. When i am into something time and space erases from existens, got the feeling back though it took an hour or so.Image
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Now that, Ronny, is one lovely job! Trying to find words (and I'm good with 'em) for what I feel, I come up with this: it flows together -- the shape, the rustication, the stain. Such a fine, balanced effort! Gosh but that's a nice pipe!
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Bumped: this pipe deserves more than one comment!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ok, I'll say it:
Ronny, you just made the pipe that I've been trying, and failing, to sketch for about a year. In my mind, that's the perfect horn. I might as well throw in the towel.

The only thing I can see is that it looks like a the stem/shank transition could be cleaner. I think I detect a small gap or slight rounding to the end of the shank and the beginning of the stem. However, it's very difficult to tell from that photo.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

pic. from the other side

Post by smokepiper »

I´m not sure i understand what you mean but here is an other angle of the horn. Image Thanks! it´s made from a gigantic block of briar.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

In that photo I don't see any rounding of the stem or shank. It must just be that first photo that looks funky. I LIKE IT!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Damn nice Ronny! How much are tou aksing for it?
smokepiper

i had in mind to send it off to frenchys pipes

Post by smokepiper »

I have a bounch of pipes at frenchys and i use to send some to him once every three months, now i have been moving to another part of Sweden and i have been working on getting my workshop together again so there hasn´t been so much real carving lateley. But for a forum member i could sell this pipe for $150+ shipping i think frenchy whould tag it with $250 or more. Thanks for your kind words..
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Nick, you KNOW that's a $300 pipe, at least! Oh why oh why didn't I retire from a better-paying job?