Another Pre-Carb Question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bvartist

Another Pre-Carb Question

Post by bvartist »

OK, not a how to question, but here goes! This is for all the "big guys" that sell pipes and precarb their bowls. I was contacted by someone interested in one of my pipes today, but he didn't want the precarb coating in the bowl. I know how I'm going to handle this, but am curious what others would do! If you had a customer interested in a pipe, but they didn't want the precarb coating, how do you handle the request?

Just curious!

Thanks
David
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I don't know about others, but once my coating goes in, it's a ROYAL B**CH to get out. Personally, I would offer to make a similar pipe without the coating.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

This is why I quit using a pre-carb.

In every thread I've read about pre-carbs on many forums, the most complimentary thing I've read about it is, "If I really like the pipe, the fact that it has a pre-carb coating is not a deal breaker".

The worst is, "If it's got a pre-carb, then you can be sure the maker is trying to hide something".

Of course, many of these posters won't spend over $100.00 on a pipe. :D

Rad
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

KurtHuhn wrote:I don't know about others, but once my coating goes in, it's a ROYAL B**CH to get out. Personally, I would offer to make a similar pipe without the coating.
Thats exactly what I did. Offered to make a similar one. My thoughts before this were if someone asked I could simply sand out the coating. Did a test on a pipe I'd planned to smoke myself and the coating didn't come out easily.
RadDavis wrote:Of course, many of these posters won't spend over $100.00 on a pipe.

Rad
Thats ok, many of mine are under $100 anyway! :thumb:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Which is funny, since a lot of those sub-$100 pipes have far worse than activated charcoal and pumice in the bowl. :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

I simply wouldn't precarb the bowl. It's not important enough an issue to lose a customer over.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

I generally don't pre-carb my pipes anyway! If a customer wants to get a pre-carbed pipe I'll do it at request - otherwise it would be naturally and polished inside the bowl...

In Germany the "the-maker-wants-to-hide-somethink-hype" is very popular, so the best you can do here is to let it as it is, but you've to make it smooth and blank to get a good reputation on your work...

Of course are ther a lot of known pipemaker who don't care about it, but for "newcomer" and "hobby-pipemaker" it seems to be a must to let out any "finish" inside the bowl... :oops:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

KurtHuhn wrote:Which is funny, since a lot of those sub-$100 pipes have far worse than activated charcoal and pumice in the bowl. :D
I told you the magic marker story, right?
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Someone used magic marker to pre-carb a chamber?LOL.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

TreverT wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:Which is funny, since a lot of those sub-$100 pipes have far worse than activated charcoal and pumice in the bowl. :D
I have seen "black bamboo" pipes where the bamboo had clearly been spray painted, but I've never seen magic marker in a bowl. I can only imagine how nice it tasted on the initial smoke :D

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

TreverT wrote:
*snicker*

Yeah, I remember that one. It had me in chuckling for a couple hours afterward.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

TreverT wrote:

8O 8O 8O Now I know why pre-carb gets such a bad rep! :roll:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Welll.... Come on! Spill Trever! I haven't heard the magic marker story. I've heard of sharpies used for contrast staining, but never bowl coating.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Oh, it was just at some pipe show some years ago. There was a pipemaker there, another new guy, who had some decent looking stuff on display. I was talking with him about his pipes and looking them over, and was quite impressed by the really beautiful bowl coating, which seemed shiny black and perfectly smooth. I asked him what it was and he replied, "Permanent marker!" Which it was. He'd used a big black marker to fully color the inside of the bowl, to make it look finished.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFL!!

That's hysterical. I wonder if he ever had any complaints?