Finished This Morning

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JSPipes

Finished This Morning

Post by JSPipes »

Here's a standard type shape that I finished up this morning. The stem is lucite and the stummel features a delrin mortise lining. It's on the way to its new owner even as we speak (at least it is if the post is moving).

Joel
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nice work!
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Or you could say, VERY nice work! That's an extremely comfortable looking pipe; there's a lot to be said for traditional shapes --- especially when they're done so elegantly.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Really sharp Joel. Nice grain, nice looking shape. Why did you decide to got for the delrin sleeve? Just because you could? Or will that be a feature of your pipes from now on?

Nice stamp too btw.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Nick, I prefer a delrin sleeve over a tenon. The reason is that if a pipe is dropped (with a delrin tenon) then the shank is more likely to break. With a delrin sleeve, the stem is more likely to break. Easier to replace the stem and, since the shank won't need to be banded, the pipe looks the same as it did when purchased.

I'll use the mortise lining when the shank is thick enough to permit it. With a thin shank pipe, that's not going to work.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

JSPipes wrote:Nick, I prefer a delrin sleeve over a tenon. The reason is that if a pipe is dropped (with a delrin tenon) then the shank is more likely to break. With a delrin sleeve, the stem is more likely to break. Easier to replace the stem and, since the shank won't need to be banded, the pipe looks the same as it did when purchased.
You know, I've read this a lot of places, but have never really seen any sort of evidence to show that it's the case. I've dropped a lot of pipes over the years, even had some fly out my hands at high speed, and I've got to say that my experience doesn't reflect the assertion that delrin tenons will destroy shanks when dropped.

Not saying it's wrong, just that my experience doesn't support it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I tell ya, there is a good argument to be made for Random's one piece pipes. It could still break, but I suspect that the joint in those is much more durable.
flix

Post by flix »

Sweet work Joel!
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Kurt, my experience is a little different I guess. I've dropped a few pipes and a couple in particular kept breaking. The stem broke anyway. They had a delrin mortise lining and the stems proved very easy to replace.

Delrin is tough stuff. Whether my assumption is true or not is open to interpretation, unless someone wants to test it. I don't have the measuring equipment for that!
BD

Post by BD »

Could someone explain the delrin sleeve and maybe post a pic?

Thanks,

Bill
BDP

Post by BDP »

Joel,

Nicely done- the shape is rock solid- nice grain to boot!

Brad