New, new new

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Speaking of tools Kurt, the tower jaws should be here early next week :)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote:Speaking of tools Kurt, the tower jaws should be here early next week :)
WOOOT!!! :rockon:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Where'd you all get your drill chuck for your lathes?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I got mine from Rockler, I think. Actually, it needs replaced, so I might get a new one from Woodcraft.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I got both of my drill chucks from Woodcraft.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Tyler wrote: and the cyclical binging and purging is a pleasure in and of itself. :)

Tyler

Hey Tyler, they have support groups for that disorder now! :wink:

David
Wilbur

lathes

Post by Wilbur »

Thanks. I'm glad to be here.
I asked WoodCrafters if they sold a mini metal lathe and they didn't but I suppose I could ask them to order one. Thanks for the sizes as well.

Like everything else, it's the goodies that make it more expensive, but way more fun too! It's like taking two days to build a jig for a project that should only take an afternoon! But isn't that why we all do this stuff?

I'm a little surprised at the 36 grit to start. I guess I pictured using a band saw to get some of it, and then heading in from there, but either way I appreciate the advice.
As far as disc sanders is there a disc size that you find works well or do you use multiples? As I think about it I guess I could use everything from a good profile sander to hand blocks, discs, files etc.!

Oh let us celebrate tonight!!!! The mind is filling with ideas faster than the dust I'll create absolutley butchering my first few blocks!!

This could make a great Indy film!

Thanks again!
Wilbur

buying disorders

Post by Wilbur »

Actually, I really appreciate the advice. I spent many years on the road, and every year I bought a couple of nice peices for my shop. I had at one time, A scroll saw, Jet cabinet table saw (with the exacta fence) router table and a jet jointer all sitting in their boxes un-opened for nearly four years!
I knew I wouldn't have the time for another year or two, but I just kept adding to the pile as well as buying rough stock in exotic woods, burls whenever I was in a town and saw some wood that I really liked.

So when I came off of the road and built the house I'm in now I had managed to aquire everything for a killer shop. I turned our 3rd car garage into my shop, with dust collection, heat, air conditioning, it's own power supply and breakers with outlets every four feet on every wall! I also had hoarded a ton of different woods, so now when I feel like making or building something, it's pretty much already there!

Of course there is ALWAYS something new to go get and play with! Then I started moving on to hand tools etc. So I have about one or two of everything. It took 10 years but I had my dream and stuck to it, so it's paying off now.

My wife got me smoking pipes about twenty years ago and I bought a polishing wheel to keep them shiney and clean up oxidation! So I started collecting polishing compounds and carnuba.

So I guess I'm going to have to disappoint you guys! I'm not likely to give away a whole bunch of tools once I get my grimey little fingers on them!

For the enquiring minds, I love to build furniture, cabinets, pergolas, boxes, tooth picks, pens, pieces of wood that have been turned into grotesque clubs for no good reason etc.

I also love to hunt with both bow and guns, So trophy settings are fun, I made a gunstock for a 50 dollar shotgun I had laying in the back closet somewhere. I used Birds eye Maple and cut ebony zebra stripes through out with my scroll saw. It looks awesome but the stock is probably worth 50 of those shotguns! Heh heh.

To me it's all fun and games. I like to learn, and I don't mind taking my time. My wife has asked me to build a new bed from Cherry, so that will start sometime soon, and I shot a record book sized Stone's Sheep on my trip to the Yukon this year, so I need to build a pedestal for him.

I've always wanted to try turning my own pipes, in fact I smoke an old Erlich block that must have been a kit pipe way back when. It was my grand dads and my dad says he can't ever remember it not being around...so I just smoke the block!

Wood working is a family trait, my dad builds classical guitars for fun, with rosewood burl inlay in the back.

Okay now I've asked too many questions, hope I answered the enquiring minds, and I KNOW I have bragged WAAAY too much for any of us!

By the way. When you move your shop to the basement be sure that you close off your furnace from any possibility of dust gathering on it. My dad was an arson detective and he had a fire once from just that! The dust hung in the air and exploded when the furnace turned on just like a grain siloh explosion!

Okay wake up I'm done.
Nick

Post by Nick »

By the way. When you move your shop to the basement be sure that you close off your furnace from any possibility of dust gathering on it. My dad was an arson detective and he had a fire once from just that! The dust hung in the air and exploded when the furnace turned on just like a grain siloh explosion!
Ouch! Thans for the tip.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: buying disorders

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wilbur wrote:So when I came off of the road and built the house I'm in now I had managed to aquire everything for a killer shop. I turned our 3rd car garage into my shop, with dust collection, heat, air conditioning, it's own power supply and breakers with outlets every four feet on every wall! I also had hoarded a ton of different woods, so now when I feel like making or building something, it's pretty much already there!
Nice! When I build my garage, the second floor is going to dedicated shop space. And man lounge. Complete with barka loungers, beer fridge, old TV, and more ashtrays of all types than you can shake a stick at. And you can fart to your hearts delight and your wife can't say anything about it. :thumbsup:

So I guess I'm going to have to disappoint you guys! I'm not likely to give away a whole bunch of tools once I get my grimey little fingers on them!
Darn.
For the enquiring minds, I love to build furniture, cabinets, pergolas, boxes, tooth picks, pens, pieces of wood that have been turned into grotesque clubs for no good reason etc.
Wood working is a family trait, my dad builds classical guitars for fun, with rosewood burl inlay in the back.
I've been collecting bits and pieces to build myself an electric bass. It won't be anything special, but it will be the first instrument I've made, and it will be exactly what *I* want. I'm intrigued about making a classical guitar for my dad, but I need to look at a luthier's book or three before I'm comfortable enough to actually do it. I'm particularly worried about how you get the sides just so....

[/quote]
By the way. When you move your shop to the basement be sure that you close off your furnace from any possibility of dust gathering on it. My dad was an arson detective and he had a fire once from just that! The dust hung in the air and exploded when the furnace turned on just like a grain siloh explosion![/quote]

Excellent point! My dust collection system filters through a 1 micron canister - pretty much ensuring that all but the finest dust is captured. I will, however, keep a close eye the furnace. Thank you.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

The man lounge is of course...PERFECT! It sounds like the ideal addition to a Bordello of fun and games. Tobacco, sports, wood working, Tobacco, more sports, maybe a beer, Tobacco, beer, fire up the BBQ, admiration hour for the completed work of the day, Tobacco, beautiful late evening supper, and scratching out some plans for whatever wood needs to be made into something.

Tobacco over a late movie....off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I can see it all! If you are in an incredibly reflective yet devilish mood from the perfect day, save those farts! And share them with the missus when she climbs into bed!

If you are really brave...it's DUTCH OVEN TIME!!! YEEEEEEHAAAAW!

P.S. You might consider a pull out bed for the lounge, after you pull the ol'e Dutch Oven trick!...This maybe of some importance as well: You might consider a different name other than "The man lounge" like the tool loft or something.

There used to be a place on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood that was advertised as "a Man lounge" only this place was for gay's and the name in neon outside was "The Man Hole"!!!

excuse me I have to go barf and wash with acid.
Nick

Post by Nick »

EEEEEWWWW!

When we moved into our new house, i had envisioned a manly louge area, but after one or two december evenings in the garage trying to work, I decided that a worksop in the basement might be better than a lounge area. That and the less stringent clean up requirments of a workshop versus a lounge. And heck, I can put a fridge in the shop. Add a chair and that's all I need.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Perfect! BTW - Happy new year everyone!
I was begining to have withdrawls from not being online!

Kurt it sounds like you'll have a stellar shop AND lounge, in fact they all sound pretty cool, one question though...Kurt you said we could fart to our hearts content and my wife wouldn't mind....but what about yours!

I'm pretty sure if we al showed up with a bean and cabbage buffet- onion on the side, and then fellowshipped for the prescribed amount of time, not only will your wife mind but they may call out the Hazmat team! He heh.

So I've been looking at one of my treasures that stayed in an un-opened box until I started watching these threads. I have a NOVA chuck, that is four sided, circular jaws and the inset of the jaws is probably about an inch and a 1/4 or so? It was recommended NOT to try and use the chuck using only two sides.

Also I finally found out that a Jacobs chuck is like what I use in my Drill press or hand drill? Did I get that right?

I feel kinda foolish with all this talk of a killer shop and don't know the names of some of these things. So I guess I should invest in some new chucks. The diameter of the closed Jaws on the Nova chuck is pretty wide, like 3" maybe a bit more. I would have to attach the block to something else and then try to turn from there.

Also a new chuck for the drilling, and some "Pipe Only" drills?

What make do you consider the best for drill bits? I have a killer set of mortising bits for my drill press, as well as some equal forstners so I'm okay there.

Do you use a stain for color? Something tells me that I heard stains were not used for pipes.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Wilbur wrote: So I've been looking at one of my treasures that stayed in an un-opened box until I started watching these threads. I have a NOVA chuck, that is four sided, circular jaws and the inset of the jaws is probably about an inch and a 1/4 or so? It was recommended NOT to try and use the chuck using only two sides.
:wink: Sure, the manufacturer will tell you not to use just two jaws on the chuck, but we all do! Really the only way to chuck a block of briar since they are longer than wide normally. BTW, I used a Nova Midi chuck when I started making pipes. I was much happier when I switched to a Oneway Talon. Much greater chucking capacity and better gripping power.
Also I finally found out that a Jacobs chuck is like what I use in my Drill press or hand drill? Did I get that right?
Right!
I feel kinda foolish with all this talk of a killer shop and don't know the names of some of these things. So I guess I should invest in some new chucks. The diameter of the closed Jaws on the Nova chuck is pretty wide, like 3" maybe a bit more. I would have to attach the block to something else and then try to turn from there.
I had to glue the briar to another block with my Nova chuck. That procedure doesn't work really well! Removing two of the jaws on your Nova chuck will let them close a little more so you might have greater clamping ability. There are also other sizes of jaws available for your Nova chuck that will give you better clamping range.
Do you use a stain for color? Something tells me that I heard stains were not used for pipes.
Most pipe makers use aniline, alcohol based dyes for staining. Leather dyes are good. As are aniline powder dyes you can mix with alcohol to make your own stains. Basically stay away from anything that leaves a heavy chemical residue on the wood!

David
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Thanks David!
For the begining I'll use the Nova chuck minus two sides if I can and them head to woodcraft and look for a Jacobs (size?) and look for the ONe Way Talon (size?)
How about bits and stems? What Bit sizes are needed for this?

Thanks for all the info! Dyes!!! Right!!! I remember now. I also have lots of exotic and hard woods sitting around i.e. Cherry, ebony , zebra.
Are there other woods besides briar I can turn for a pipe?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wilbur wrote:Kurt it sounds like you'll have a stellar shop AND lounge, in fact they all sound pretty cool, one question though...Kurt you said we could fart to our hearts content and my wife wouldn't mind....but what about yours!

I'm pretty sure if we al showed up with a bean and cabbage buffet- onion on the side, and then fellowshipped for the prescribed amount of time, not only will your wife mind but they may call out the Hazmat team! He heh.
Since the workshop will be over the garage, and it will be a separate building from the house, and the whole building will be mine all mine, She doesn't get a say. In fact, the fact that her Jeep will be granted a parking spot on the first floor, is only due to my extreme kindness. :)
So I've been looking at one of my treasures that stayed in an un-opened box until I started watching these threads. I have a NOVA chuck, that is four sided, circular jaws and the inset of the jaws is probably about an inch and a 1/4 or so? It was recommended NOT to try and use the chuck using only two sides.
Naw, take off one set of jaws, but leave the other set on that has a roll pin in them to prevent them from opening too far. It also sounds like, maybe, you have a set of #3 jaws? Is the grippy part way out at the outside of the jaws? If so, a set of jaws with the spigot in the center of the jaw will help tremendously.
Indeed.
What make do you consider the best for drill bits? I have a killer set of mortising bits for my drill press, as well as some equal forstners so I'm okay there.
I square the ends of stuff with a precision ground forstner bit from Freud - I get them at Woodcraft. I use a 5/16" forstner bit to drill the mortis. Also from Freud. The tobacco chamber bits I make myself.
I use Fiebings leather stain. I prefer it for it's penetrating properties and color-fastness.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

AAAAAAHHH!
The old outbuilding garage loft above the foundation you're lucky to have a parking space at all trick! VERY nice! Perhaps a bit treacherous, but nice!

I have the Nova 50 mm. I over stated the correct size. The manual describes this as a scroll chuck with 50 mm add on jaws, which slide. The forstners are Rockler.

Although it may sound a bit sophmoric, I get the biggest kick out of learning something as simple as learning what a Jacob chuck is! Every step is a new adventure. As I looked and learned a little more about Lathes, I am leaning towards you, I dont think I need a metal lathe right now. It seems a bit like every other wood working tool. If you can learn how to correctly use the hand tools, then the power tools will simply be more convenient!

I'm not saying that any of it is "easy" but perhaps I might learn more about the design and and character of each step, as well as learning to use my existing arsenal in a slightly different arena if I learn the basics, rather than jumping into yet another tool that I have to learn BEFORE I spend anytime actually learning how to make a pipe.

One last question. Is the pipe on your avatar one the you made? I find myself staring at that pipe when I read your posts. It's very nice!
Thanks again!
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

AAAAAAHHH!
The old outbuilding garage loft above the foundation you're lucky to have a parking space at all trick! VERY nice! Perhaps a bit treacherous, but nice!

I have the Nova 50 mm. I over stated the correct size. The manual describes this as a scroll chuck with 50 mm add on jaws, which slide. The forstners are Rockler.

Although it may sound a bit sophmoric, I get the biggest kick out of learning something as simple as learning what a Jacob chuck is! Every step is a new adventure. As I looked and learned a little more about metal Lathes, I am leaning towards you, I dont think I need a metal lathe right now. It seems a bit like other wood working tools. If you can learn how to correctly use the basic hand tools, then the power tools will simply be more convenient!

I'm not saying that any of it is "easy" but perhaps I might learn more about the design and and character of each step, as well as learning to use my existing arsenal in a slightly different arena if I learn the basics, rather than jumping into yet another tool that I have to learn BEFORE I spend anytime actually learning how to make a pipe.

One last question. Is the pipe on your avatar one that you made? I find myself staring at that pipe when I read your posts. It's very nice!
Thanks again!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wilbur wrote:Although it may sound a bit sophmoric, I get the biggest kick out of learning something as simple as learning what a Jacob chuck is! Every step is a new adventure. As I looked and learned a little more about Lathes, I am leaning towards you, I dont think I need a metal lathe right now. It seems a bit like every other wood working tool. If you can learn how to correctly use the hand tools, then the power tools will simply be more convenient!
Exactly. I am saving my pennies right now for a larger wood lathe. I'm probably going to hold off and get the Nova 1624-44, but I might not be able to wait, and go for the Jet JWL-1236. My Jet JML-1014 is a good lathe, but I want something bigger so that I can do more bowl and platter turning. I've been toying with the idea of a Jet BD-920N, but you know what? I don't think it's as flexible as a good wood lathe - at least for the stuff I want to do.

If someone gave me a decent metal lathe, I wouldn't turn it down, but I would only ever use it for metal work, I think.
One last question. Is the pipe on your avatar one the you made? I find myself staring at that pipe when I read your posts. It's very nice!
Thanks again!
That's the third in the series of briar calabashes I've done:
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipeimages/calabash3.jpg
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipeimages/c ... 3-alt1.jpg
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipeimages/c ... 3-alt2.jpg
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipeimages/c ... 3-alt3.jpg
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipeimages/c ... 3-alt4.jpg

It's in it's new home now down in Maryland. I can't keep those in stock. They're a minor hassle to make, since they require two blocks and a lot of handwork on the interior of the bottom, but the end result is sooo worth it.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Wow!
I had no idea that was a Calabash! And I don't think that I have ever seen one like it! It's absolutley beautiful. That one has a nice tight straight grain, and the birds eye on the cap is a feast for the eye.

That is the type of thing that I would look for in my own pipe collection. Something a bit unusual, with the classic characteristics, weight, grain, birds eye etc. The stem work is as beautiful as the briar work, two pieces? My favorite pipes are my collection of Stokkebey's. I bought them before he became more well known for the tobacco, and from what I've seen lately that's probably a good thing. He just doesn't seem to have the variety of shapes and the quality of briar he used to get.

Don't get me wrong he still puts out a hell of pipe, but I see some pretty large gaps in his quality ratings. What might have been an "H" grade then seems as though it would be up graded to a "D" or "E" grade today.

So now instead of buying his pipes I am hoping one day perhaps I"ll be able to turn out something of that quality. One day.

Not to mention seeing all of the other incredible pipes available like yours that are equal in quality, but have the opportunity to step out of just the classic shapes and move into something a bit different.

I'm not a huge fan of shapes that are creative but don't resemble a pipe anymore, but creative variations on classics (like your Calabash). I dont know that's just me. I'm not a Picasso fan either, I prefer expert use of the more traditional.

My large lathe is a Jet but I'm not big on remembering model numbers.

The bed is as large as I could find, and the head releases and turns outside of the bed to accommodate larger bowls and platters etc. The speed control is the larger version of the midi, and the whole system is wonderful to work with.

If you're like me, turning little intricate egdes or lips to see how delicate you can get is something I really enjoy! At the same time, you can remove quite a bit of stock when you want to. I would love to see more of your work. Do you have another site with more examples?