Mesquite?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
jchamb

Mesquite?

Post by jchamb »

My wife wanted me to cook a brisket on the smoker, so I picked up a big bag of Mesquite chunks at the grocery store. I fired up the smoker and put the brisket on to cook slowly until tonight.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of chunks of mesquite that look just about the right size for a pipe...
One of them looks just like a piece of plateau briar, one looks like a ebauchon.

This stuff is calling to me - what the heck, I've got a box of stems and two more days off!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The chunks of mesquite I have around here for smoking meats are all fairly small. I can't think of a good reason not to make a pipe from one. Go for it!

I'll bet that's one of the only pipes that will pair nicely with a chiles and steak. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

Actually mesquite has a janka hardness of 2345 according to my google searches - making it one of the hardest woods around. Brazillian cherry is 2350, Santos mahogany is 2200, and Hickory/Pecan are 1850 for example.

I'm not sure what the hardness is for briar, but I think mesquite is right up there with it. What the heck, I either set it on fire in the smoker, or drill some holes, saw and sand a bit, and set it on fire that way...
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Carver Dana Busa makes pipes out of mesquite. I saw one in chicago and it looked really nice. He claims that they have a very nice smoky sweet taste. A buddy of mine is very intested in making pipes from mesquite. If anyone knows of a source for it please let me know so I can pass it on.
JMB

Post by JMB »

They cut and burn pastures full of mesquite everyday down the Rio Grand Valley in South Texas. Next time I am down there I will check for you. Guess it would need seasoning but don't know the time frame on that There are furniture makers down there that use a lot of it. The seasoning time should be the same. I will check with them also.

ArtGuy wrote:
A buddy of mine is very intested in making pipes from mesquite. If anyone knows of a source for it please let me know so I can pass it on.[/quote]
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

I made the pipe, but I haven't tried smoking it yet. Tomorrow I'll fire up a bowl in my mesquite pipe and see what happens!
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I look forward to reading your review!
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Way to go Sailor. Knew a "good GI" would fine a way to make pipe while on active duty.lol
Think you will like the way "mesquite" smokes. I have made two out of BBQ chips. Not good enough (not up to Pooka stems standard) to Post pic's but great smokers. Don't know what tobacco you smoke. The two main tobaccos I smoke, 1 smokes just great the others loses something that "brair" adds to the taste
Great to hear from you. Luck my man..
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool bud. Glad to hear you're doing OK.