Price Guide

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I can't make much from the picture. It's sort of small and a little blurry... is there a way on Tyler's site to enlarge it that I don't know about??
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'd love to help, but I too think the photos are limiting. I'd hesitate to offer much of an opinion since I'm not sure of so many aspects of the pipe. If you want to know what I REALLY think, you could mail it to me. :-)

(Seriously, if you want to mail it to me, I'd be glad to look it over and mail it back.)

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

and I bet he'd even give you his opinions on its smaoking attrbutes....

*winks*
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'd be careful setting your prices based upon the amount of time it took you to do the pipe. As new makers, we are inherently inefficient at this. Time, therefore, is not usually a very good guage for the value of the pipe. I am NOT saying that the pipe is not worth $100, but the fact the you spent 15 hours at it is not a factor in the value. At least, not at this stage in the game. After a maker because quite efficient at the task, time can be more of a factor because it is indicitive of the degree of difficulty of the pipe, and that does effect the value.

Also, when filling a commission, you must be careful with pricing. I don't take true commissions, but when I did I did not quote a price ahead of time. I always said the the price depended on how the grain turned out. That way, when the pipe was done I could set the price as I saw fit, and the buyer could take it or leave it at that price.

These two comments are not necessarily specific to your situation, pooka, but your situation reminded me of these issues.

On the mailing me a pipe thing, the obvious smoke-it-to-know-for-sure joke is not my intent. I am just thinking that it is near impossible to help someone evaluate a pipe -- especially for pricing -- via photos. As such, if someone cares for my opinion, if they want to send me pipes to look at, I will.

Tyler