Brief interview with a new ebonite supplier

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

geigerpipes wrote:Smooted is polished raw is what you would usually get as a pipemaker because you are going to work the rod it is unnessesary to pay extra for it to be polished
That was my assumption. Thanks.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Raw is probably the only way you've ever bought it if you've used the German ebonite from the Hamburg factory.

I personally would not pay the extra for smooth. (I'm going to reshape it anyway.)

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Raw runs true enough in the lathe - remember, you're going to reshape the rod into something else anyway. I've never had a problem with raw stuff.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

achduliebe wrote:Scott,

Those are some great looking prices indeed. If you get together a large order, keep me in mind I would like to go in on it.
Me too, Scott! I'd be interested in a group buy!

David
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I got my samples in the mail this morning, and finished a pipe this afternoon.

This stuff is really nice. when working it, the smell is much less sulfurous smelling (to me) than the stuff from Pipe Makers Emporium, which I assume comes from Hamburg.

It also seems to take a shine much better than the other stuff.

I will definitely be getting more.

Rad
sethile

Post by sethile »

Thanks for the report, Rad. Sounds like really great stuff. Can't wait to get my samples!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

If the rod from PE is raw, then I guess your right ....I thought you meant raw-er. Thanks for the report Rad.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have ordered a bunch of it myself. They are sending me polished rods at no extra charge for being their second client :D . I am getting plenty and plan to have some with me at the chicago show.

When I get it I will post here and see if anyone is interested in buying some. I don't plan to go into the ebonite selling business, however, I did have a cache of funds prepared for an order from hamburg and went with SEM instead. So in about two weeks time I will have a shitload.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

I hope all you cool cats are telling SEM that you read about them in my pipe blog - I need all the brownie points I can get! :D

And yes, there is no need to pay for smooth rod at all, it's just going to be reshaped.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I hope all you cool cats are telling SEM that you read about them in my pipe blog
I gave you credit, Trever, so you got some brownie points from me. :)

I never heard anything back from them, even after a second email about samples inquiring if they had gotten my first one. The samples just showed up in the mail.

I emailed for prices and availability on Saturday, telling them how much I liked the product and haven't heard anything yet.

Rad
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

I'm sure they'll get back to you. The lady who handles the email is a bit embarrassed about her English, and I suspect she'll be more prone to just ship stuff than do lots of email exchanges.

I can relate to this completely. :shock:
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Rad

It seems that SEM got popular quick and they are now working very hard 7 days a week and had to call in famely and freinds to help to make rod...that might explalain things a bit..
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

They are a little slow to respond but I think Love is right, they are simply busy. It took me probably 3 weeks or so to finalize the deal. I found out about them through Barbi but I will give Trevor props next time. :D
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'll be patient, then.

I blame Trever. :P

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I got my sample last week and I'll say this, they get an A+ for presentation. It came in a box packed with green shredded paper with a wooden box nested in that paper. (Sort of reminiscent of a large wooden Easter egg laying in a basket with that fake Easter grass.) Inside was a few sizes of rod in both raw and smooth. Enough to make one normal sized stem and one small, I'd estimate, and then some samples that were far too thin for a stem. One of the rods was cut at an angle to show a lot of surface area of the inside of the rod, and this was polished. I guess they are showing that the product is bubble and impurity free. Also in the package was an addition rod about 8" long for making a few more stems. I suspect they throw that in as an addition to there normal sample since I am using the stuff for pipe making and that would let me make a few more stems.

In all I'm impressed so far. I haven't worked with it yet, but I would be comfortable ordering more at this point.

FWIW, after having seen the stuff, I would still order the raw. It is plenty close enough to round (better than the Hamburg stuff even) that I wouldnt personally pay any more for smooth.

One difference in appearance between the Hamburg stuff and this is the raw looks a little different. The sample pieces that were raw had the whitish cast to them that the Hamburg stuff does, but there were also tiny little voids all over the surface where it looked like playdough does that has been pressed through a holey head to make hair. This would be no issue AT ALL, just interesting that it looked different. It is obvious that the stuff is extruded.

Tyler
custom300

Post by custom300 »

I received my sample on Friday, and I echo everything Tyler said. Also, the company sent me PDF's of the price list and some other material. If anyone wants a copy, I would be happy to provide it.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
Leus

Post by Leus »

I received a sample too, although I did asked them not to :lol:

Good stuff at great prices. I think is somewhat less resistant to heat, and I found that I have to be more careful when making tenons it in the lathe.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I also got samples on Friday even though I didn't specifically ask for them. I guess they must have looked up my address on my website. It's a good thing I had that updated so that it was current. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Rats, my samples never came. I may try again, but it sounds like they may be swamped at this point.

John, did you get your large order? If so, how does it look?

Any one else get an actual order of rod in?

Last I'd E-mailed with them Cumberland was in the works. Anyone have any updates on the status of that?
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I recieved samples last week. Though I haven't worked any I lools great!
I'll report as soon as I do.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes