Newbee Questions in refinishing

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
fastredx

Newbee Questions in refinishing

Post by fastredx »

Hi, I am new to this forum . After cruising around the site a few days have found much helpful information !! I have been smoking pipes for just over a year now-finally gave up the cigarettes after 40+ years .Enjoy the pipe much more!! Bought a bunch of pipes on Ebay,some of which are quite rough. Thought I'd start out by trying to refinish some of them. When sanding a pipe is there a proper way to sand? When working with wood I generally try to follow the grain. Is this necessary on a pipe and how do you do that when the grain seems to go in all directions?? Secondly,when re-waxing a pipe,should the old wax be stripped and what is the best way to strip? . And lastly,I have bought four ebuchon blocks and need to know what shape of pipe these blocks would best suited for. I prefer a bent pipe-is a bent possible ? Thanks Ed.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Welcome to the forum Ed. I generally do not concern myself with the direction of the sanding until the final pass on my last grit where I make that pass with the grain. It seems to help with any tiny scratches that may still be hanging out. However, the best way to avoid scratches in the later stages is to not skimp on the 220 stage. I spend most of the time at that grit with a light hand, allowing the paper to do the work.

I don't think it is necessary to strip the old wax off with any type of solvent if you are only rewaxing. I would just buff with white and then take that off with a dry buff (soft wheel with no compound). After that, wax it.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Welcome Ed. This is a great place to learn the trade.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
fastredx

finishing

Post by fastredx »

Thanks Guys, appreciate the welcome and the information. Think I'm gonna like it here. Ed.