Width of a pipe bowl's effect on a smoke

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Width of a pipe bowl's effect on a smoke

Post by Nick »

Could the width of a bowl effect how dry, or wet a pipe smokes?
Nick

Post by Nick »

I mean the tobacco chamber. I'm having "issues" with my lil seahorse pipe. The chamber is only 1/2" in diameter and I'm wondering if that is part of the proble. I also know I have a stem problem, where the tennon is way short. But I've a new stem on the way and should be able to fix that shortly.

Regarding the chamber, I can probably squeese a bit wider chamber in the pipe, an extra eigth if not 3/16ths, making the chamber either 5/8ths or 11/16ths in diameter. Would that make any significant difference?

BTW, I knew this question was right up your alley Random.

;)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Interesting question. I, like random, would be interested in hearing what you mean by not smoking well.

If you mean smoking wet -- which for some reason is what I typically assume -- then I would say that the diameter of the chamber would not matter. Surprise, surprise an engineering disagreement! :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts on why diameter would matters, random. I'd be glad to offer my defense as well, but its getting late. I'll try to write it up tomorrow.

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm sorry, I'm such a goof. Yes, smoking wet. To the point where it is very hard to smoke a bowl all the way to the bottom. I've tried with several different tobaccos, all of which are pretty dry. Hieght of the tabacco chamber was mentioned. The tobacco chamber is just under 1.5" tall.