Bamboo Procedure?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Bamboo Procedure?

Post by staffwalker »

Hi, I had always thought one extended the s'steel tube completely through the bamboo from stem to strummel but after reading Kurt's method, posted here, and reading Tyler's on his site I am no longer sure. If I am reading both methods correctly you guys use ss only on each end of the bamboo to made the various connections, tenons, etc. Is this correct? If this is correct may I ask why not use enough tube to go completely through the bamboo from stem to strummel?

bob gilbert
Tano

Post by Tano »

I would think that the cost of stainless steel has something to do with it. I'm I correct?
All the best,
Tano
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

you do NOT extend the SS tubing through the bamboo! The bamboo is a wonderful moisture absorber! And you don't want to eliminate that potential by using the SS tubing (which is not very expensive). I use brass tubing, btw.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Ben's answer is a good one. The only thing I can add is weight. One reason for using bamboo is to make the pipe very light. Adding a metal tube the length of the bamboo is unnecessary weight.

David
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's not really a weight reason - the SS tube is so light that it doesn't add a significant amount of weight. I use the stuff from McMaster Carr that has a 3/16 OD and 5/32 ID - very lightweight.

Believe it or not, but the biggest reason I do not use a full length SS liner in the bamboo is because it's such a royal PITA to make the hole straight enough to easily slip a tube all the way through. And the fact that bamboo is a great moisture absorber is the icing on the cake.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:It's not really a weight reason - the SS tube is so light that it doesn't add a significant amount of weight. I use the stuff from McMaster Carr that has a 3/16 OD and 5/32 ID - very lightweight.

Believe it or not, but the biggest reason I do not use a full length SS liner in the bamboo is because it's such a royal PITA to make the hole straight enough to easily slip a tube all the way through. And the fact that bamboo is a great moisture absorber is the icing on the cake.
That's true! Some of the coolest looking bamboo pipes have curved bamboo shanks. Not too terribly difficult to drill, I wouldn't imagine, but hard enough to thread with a metal tube.
Frank

Post by Frank »

From what I understand, the stuff used for pipes is actually rattan, not hollow bamboo. Not sure about that, though.

Since it is fairly flexible, I clamp the curved ones between 2 pieces of wood to straighten it out when drilling. After it's drilled & removed from clamping, it returns to its curved shape.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Frank,

The stuff used for pipes is actually the rhizome (root) of the bamboo. Looks just like small bamboo but not hollow.

Rad
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Better known in the bamboo world as Wangi.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Question, how do you sand the junction of bamboo/strummel, bamboo/stem. Is the bamboo sandable without messing up the outer sheath.

bob gilbert
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

sand it with no heavier grit than 400. For my first I used a sanding disc to get it down to size and then VERY carefully made it even with a file. Then 400 grit.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

staffwalker wrote:Question, how do you sand the junction of bamboo/strummel, bamboo/stem. Is the bamboo sandable without messing up the outer sheath.
Very, very carefully. :)

In all seriousness, I start that shaping on my belt grinder at 120 grit, then move to 180 and 220 discs. You just have to be very careful at that junction and keep a very close eye on the contract surfaces at all times.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com