Osage Orange Freehand (pictures, stories, and more)

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
pierredekat

Osage Orange Freehand (pictures, stories, and more)

Post by pierredekat »

Let me begin by saying that freehands aren't really my strong suit. I've done a few, but my favorite pipes have so far been the ones where I had a fairly detailed plan to begin with.

With freehands, you tend to have to figure out what you're doing as you go along, allowing the wood to dictate much of what you're doing and how you're doing it.

But take this pipe: I've made two different stems for it, and I'm still not very happy about the transition from the shank to the stem. So I'm currently debating about making a third, but I think I'll wait and kinda "sleep on it" for a few days.

Anywho, the story on this pipe is that I made another very similar to this one awhile back, and it's become a regular in my rotation. As near as I can tell, I've probably put around a hundred bowls of tobacco through it, and it's really turned out to be a nice smoker.

So a friend of mine saw me smoking that pipe one day and decided he had to have one just like it. His pipe is what you see pictured below.

By far the nicest thing about my own personal Osage pipe is the fact that I can smoke 10 very different tobaccos in it over the course of a few days, and no matter what tobacco I'm smoking, I can't taste even a hint of the previous tobacco.

So I've pretty much decided that Osage just doesn't absorb flavors the way that briar does. This may be due to the fact that Osage is a relatively resinous wood -- which sounds bad, but it's really more of a sugary resin, rather than the kind that you might find in, like, pine, for instance.

Osage is essentially a fruit tree -- a cousin to mulberry and fig -- and the seeds of the Osage Orange's fruit -- the hedge apple or horse apple -- were a significant source of vitamin C for Native Americans.

During those few weeks a year when berries were available, they could get their "C" that way, but through the rest of the year, they regularly ate the seeds of the hedge apple for that tanginess that their bodies were actually craving.

This was how Native Americans avoided scurvy and other illnesses that plagued sailors and others up until the time when oranges were found to ward off those diseases.

Native Americans carried these seeds, they ate them, and they planted them ... profusely ... which is why Osage Orange now grows throughout much of North America today.

Because not only were the seeds of the Osage Orange a staple in the Native American diet, the wood of the Osage Orange was without a doubt the most highly prized of bow woods.

The French, who were rather friendly with Native Americans for quite some time before other settlers started arriving, called the tree "Bois d'Arc" -- a name still in common use today. Bois d'Arc means "bow wood".

Why I'm going into all of this is because a bow represents perhaps the hardest working piece of wood there is. Bow wood has to withstand tension, compression, splitting, etc. So a wood prized for making bows, above all other woods in North America, is gonna be pretty doggone durable.

That means it will easily withstand the rigors of pipe construction: it will handle a tenon about as tight as any sane pipemaker can throw at it, IOW.

And from my own experience thus far, it seems to resist charring as well as briar does. This isn't based on extensive empirical evidence, mind you, but from what I've seen so far, Osage Orange seems to be pretty much up-to-snuff as a pipe wood.

Now then, on the downside, Osage Orange wood does tend to be somewhat ring-porous. About 99 percent of those pores will come out of the tree filled with that sugary resin I mentioned above, but on a pipe this size, you can expect to find at least a few pores that won't easily take a nice, smooth waxing.

So if a handful of visibly empty pores are going to pose a problem, a pipemaker would probably want to go the route of sandblasting.

I tried doing a light coat of shellac on one pipe, but the alcohol in the shellac caused the colors in the Osage to bleed horribly, to the extent that I ended up sanding that particular pipe back down and waxing it.

Polyurethane works well on Osage, except that it tends to be pretty much frowned-on by the pipe smoking/making community.

So waxing-and-accepting-the-occasional-pore or sandblasting-and-waxing seem to be the two best approaches -- that I've come up with thus far, anyway. Somebody else may have a better suggestion, and I'd certainly love to hear it.

And so finally, after all the convoluted rigamarole, I'll post some pictures. :D

Basically, this stummel is the result of a technique I've been playing around with, whereby I saw out a cross section of a log, split that into sections for more than one pipe, and treat one growth ring of a single section like a "plateaux".

I can't even begin to go into the intricacies of how you work down to the surface of a growth ring -- it's something I learned from my own experience making wood bows similar to those used by the Plains Indians, and involves a combination of whittling and scraping.

But I'm sure you can find out more info about the process if you Google around.

I'm thinking, though, that this process I'm describing of sectioning logs and working down to a single growth ring might have merits for other types of wood -- the point of cross-sectioning being that it's a relatively easy way to harvest logs and convert them into pipes.

And the point of working down to a single growth ring being that it's a nice organic way to add character to a pipe.

Cheers.
Last edited by pierredekat on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that turned out out beautifully--very nice work! Your technique for getting to the growth ring surface sounds interesting, and is obviuosly effective. Very nice job shaping to the rings on this.

I've got a small junk of Ossage I was saving for stem inserts or shank extensions. I had no idea it was prized for bow wood, and never thought of using it for a stummel. I may see if I can get some more and larger junks of it.

I really enjoyed reading your post, thanks!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks. :D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice bud! The grain is beautiful. I see what you mean about the stem though. To my eye, the stem decoration is too prominent. The wood here should be the focus. Try sizing down the decoration. Make is simpler.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks, Nick.

Yeah, as far as the stem, I'd really like to do something that's parallel to that plane on the shank. But to do that will be a lot more "hand work", rather than "lathe work", since the plane won't be perpendicular to the stem. It will be tilted at perhaps a 45 degree angle from the rest of the stem.

I guess I can envision it pretty well. It's just the part about doing it that's hinking me up.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Lovely looking pipe. I really like the freehand shape. The shape, colour & grain are all very eye catching.
You managed to get the centre core growth ring spot on the heel of the bowl. Your friend has to be very happy with this pipe.

I also much appreciated the mini history lesson.

Keep up the good work. Your earlier mention about osage orange inspired me to go hunting on eBay for wood. Man, I have to stay away from eBay. I ended up buying about $60 worth of assorted wood including some osage.
I also spotted a nice guitar I might bid on. Bloody eBay! :takethat:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks Frank. :D

Yeah, I know what you mean about Ebay. But you know, I'm getting to the point where I'm buying almost everything I need on there these days. And it's not all bad.

If I can limit myself to "necessities", I can save a bundle of money. It's just when I start salivating over pipes and other tobacciana that I start running into troubles. :wink:
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Well, I finally decided to go ahead and make a new stem for this thing. I debated about it for awhile hoping the second stem would grow on me, but it just never did.

So I made this one for it, and it seems quite a bit more fitting for this particular pipe. I almost wish I had still done it a little differently, but at least this one doesn't strike me as being out of place on this pipe.

I think the thing that was keeping me from doing something like this in the beginning is the fact that I was going to have to do a lot of filing and sanding to blend into the tenon.

Not only that, but that filed and sanded area was going to eventually become part of the tenon in the process.

What helped me in achieving a reasonably snug fit was that I basically: did the handwork to get that area into the ballpark; heated the tenon over a stove burner to soften it; jammed it down into the mortise; re-filed and re-sanded; etc. etc. until I got the stem down where I wanted it to be.

Then I re-drilled the draft hole to open it back up after all that heating, jamming, and filing process.

Like I said earlier, freehands aren't really my strong suit, but I learned a lot from this particular pipe, and who knows? Maybe if I do enough of them, I might get a lot better at it. :D

Cheers.
sethile

Post by sethile »

I like the new stem. It blends better with the stummel. I think you might want to thin out the area behind the bit, and perhaps flatten it out. It's always a little hard to tell in photos, but it looks too thick and too round to me to be comfortable.

Do you know it's thinkness behind the bit? I'm shootin for between .145 and .160 and that seems to be comfortable and still safe to clinch. Anything much thicker than that now feels massive to me. Shape is important too. Rad Davis explained it well to me in Chicago--if the area behind the bit is too rounded the pipe will tend to roll when clinched. I've been playing around with that on some of my pipes and I think he's right. I still like to see a thinner edge, especially on some, but I'm keeping the overall bit area much flatter. I think this could be a factor here.

Oh, and I still like the pipe!
Last edited by sethile on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Yeah, believe it or not, that roundness was what I was actually going for.

For some reason, I was picturing some exotic chicken bone thing when I was making this stem. I'm not sure what part of the chicken it came out of, but it was a chicken bone in my mind.

And not just a chicken bone, but an exotic chicken bone, one that was altered for service and then painted for decoration by an African tribesman or something. Does that make sense?

Cuckoo, I know, but that's what I was imagining.
lazyMlazyK

Re: Osage Orange Freehand (pictures, stories, and more)

Post by lazyMlazyK »

I know I'm resurrecting Lazarus with this posting, but pierredekat, would you mind if I tried replicating this stummel? I love turning osage on my wood lathe, and LOVE this shape. I completely understand if you don't want me to go ahead with this. I'm pretty new to pipe making, so I think it'd be great practice for me to look at a pipe and try duplicating it before jumping into complete originals. Thanks!
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

lazyMlazyK wrote:I know I'm resurrecting Lazarus with this posting, but pierredekat, would you mind if I tried replicating this stummel? I love turning osage on my wood lathe, and LOVE this shape. I completely understand if you don't want me to go ahead with this. I'm pretty new to pipe making, so I think it'd be great practice for me to look at a pipe and try duplicating it before jumping into complete originals. Thanks!
Wow, resurrecting Lazarus is right. This post is almost a full five years old. :D

But certainly, be my guest. Post some pictures later and let us see what you came up with.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I've done some work with Osage Orange and let me tell you boys, this wood is HARD.

Make sure your tools are razor sharp, and then be prepared to stop and sharpen them as you go.

For those of you who think that Briar is hard, you need to pull up your big girl panties and give Osage Orange a try!

So at five years on, how is your Osage Orange pipe performing? Have you been smoking it regularly for five years?

Todd
lazyMlazyK

Post by lazyMlazyK »

Thank you very much! I've got a few game calls to make first for my groomsmen, but then I'll get started in on this pipe and definitely post pictures. Thanks very much again PierreDeKat!
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Osage Orange eh? I'd never considered it for pipe material...

I guess I need to go dig up some Osage.

By the way, anyone know if the stuff grows up here in Maine? (I'll likely see if I can google that, but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info!)

Sweet pipe though, even though it's likely been around a bit since these pics were taken!
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

This pipe inspired me to pick up a nice block, just got done drilling tobacco chambers and taking off chunks with the chop saw.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I recently got some new exotic wood in, among them was osange orange and canarywood. they're very similar in color and weight would be easy to mix them up. the big surprise was when working with the canarywood it seemed very burn resistant. i was using a dull drill for a draft hole and it would smoke a little on other hardwoods but not on this stuff, same with a dull sanding pad would blacken any other species if you stopped too long but not this one.. and had to hold my little branding iron 2x-3x longer on it to leave a mark. has anyone used canarywood for a pipe material, if not for a stummel but for an extension etc? seems like a great candidate aside from being aparantly burn resistant its hard but easy to drill and shape, smooth closed grain, nice yellow color, has a mild pleasant smell when cutting that is different but similar to briar.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

different but similar to briar.
Is that similar to, "same thing only different"? :lol:

Rad