Scraping stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Gentlemen,
Back to the subject of scraping. I passed this thread by a few times, read it before I left for work last night. Got me curious. So as a habit, when I left for work, I threw a pipe I'm working on (stem)in my breif case. I do a little whittling on break. I usually use a sculpting file and paper. Well as I sat at the break table doing my thing, I pulled out my Buck pocket knife to see what our esteemed collegues say is so. Damn ! I'm impressed, took the file marks right out! I was also able to make some sculpted shaves, I can't make with a file. Thank you, I will be implementing this technique.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehehehe

Here are my quiz results:

You are Regan, from "The Exorcist." You freak.

I am Harold, from "Harold and Maude." I'm a sensitive, but...weird...soul.

Too funny! I'd try the scraping thing, but I would probably be jumped by security if i brought a knife in. Bummer!
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

gentlemen, not to beat a dead horse. But I just recieved an ebay score, an old Barling, with a thick white crust on the stem.....about as coroded as I've seen them come ! Now my usual proceedure is alot of sanding, buffing, mabe more sanding and buffing and polish, well, I thought, what the hell, and pulled out a stiff blade exacto......damn 10 mins. and some fine sanding with micro mesh, it's near perfect. There's much good to be said about scrapping. I've also been using it on shaping new stems. Can't ever have enough options you know!!! LOL
Best
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes